Sunday, 25 March 2012

So Retro

Soooo, this morning I thought I would do a bit of sewing, as I have loads of TV to catch up on, and I can't do that making cards.  Neither can I just sit and watch TV - I have to be doing something else at the same time.

At the moment, my sewing projects are pretty small:  I've made pin cushions and patchwork cushions so far, and I've decided to stick with keeping things small for now.  Inspired by the upcoming Easter holiday and an old issue of Crafts Beautiful magazine (http://www.crafts-beautiful.com/), I decided to try my hand at making an egg cosy.



It seemed quite simple: two different fabrics and some wadding.  It took me about an hour (or two catch up episodes of Sarah Millican's Television Programme) to make my first one, but I'm sure the more I do the quicker I will get.  It needed to be made in two parts.  The first consisted of sewing two half-oblong pieces of fabric together, inside out, along the edge with a simple running stitch, with the same shaped wadding, and leaving the bottom open.  Whilst doing this, I sewed a loop made from the fabric I intending making the lining from to what would be the top of the cosy.  I then turned this the right way round and made the lining.



The lining was made by sewing two pieces of fabric (contrasting to the main cosy) in another half oblong shape (a bit longer than the actual cosy), again inside out.  I left this inside out and put it inside the cosy.  I then turned over the edge twice and sewed along the the turnover to finish off the cosy.

I think I'll make some more in different colours.  The design can also be adapted to make tea cosies, which may be my next project . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget