Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Review: Cardmaking & Paper Craft Issue 104 (May 2012)

Sooooo, I was excited when the latest issues of Cardmaking and Papercraft (C&P) fell through the letterbox a couple of weeks ago.  Apologies it has taken me so long to review it – between sewing pretty much non-stop for the last few weeks, and road trips, I’ve not have much time to read it properly.  Anyway, I decided to read it on my road trip to Surrey last week.

C&P is published by Immediate Media Co on a monthly basis, with freebies with each issue.  Issue 104 came with a free ‘Spring Jubilee’ paper stack, with six sheets each of six floral, bird and butterfly designs, in pinks and pastels.  It also came with some co-ordinating chipboard embellishments.

Page 10 of the magazine shows you what you can do with these freebies, with six card ideas and an idea for a gift box.  The instructions for each of these designs are pretty simple and easy to follow.  My first thought is that some of these cards look a bit old fashioned, but I also think that this may be due to the papers, which are supposed to be vintage.  They are always a good starting point though to give inspiration to make your own designs. These suggested designs can also give you ideas of how to use your freebies that you might not otherwise have thought of. 

C&P also run a competition each month, whereby the first person to email a picture of a card made using the freebies wins a prize.  This is great for those that don’t work on the days that the magazine comes out, but not so great for those of us who do work, as we are never going to win that prize.  Some of the entries to this are amazing though.
                                                       
Prizes up for grabs in issue 104 also include £1000 of Joanna Sheen products, American Crafts goodies, a stamp set from Waltzingmouse Stamps (which if I don’t win I might just buy myself anyway as they are so cute), Polly Pickleberry stamps, a Woodware goodie bag and a washi tape set.  Subscribers can also enter competitions to win a Fizzy Moon card pack and a crafter’s carry tote.  You can also win goodies for getting a letter published (£5 worth of craft goodies), and if you are the Star Letter, you win £50 of craft goodies.  Finally, each month, 3 subscribers to the magazine are chosen to win a prize.

Anyway, back to what is actually in the magazine.  Among my favourite projects in this magazine is the paper flower bouquet, which can be found on page 54.  I think I might attempt this.  It does require a couple of pieces of floristry equipment, but as my big sister, Kay, makes porcelain flowers for cakes (as well as some of the most amazing cakes), she already has all the stuff I would need, so I’ll just go ‘borrow’ (that would be a ‘on permanent basis for no payment’ borrow).  The technique looks pretty similar to that which she uses to make her porcelain flowers, so I might also rope her into supervising me.

I also like the project, which shows you how to make windmills, or pinwheels as they are called in the magazine.  This looks pretty simple actually, but would look amazing on a card.  The ‘choose fabric’ card in the 10 Ideas with Florals feature makes me really really really want a die cutting machine, as do the ‘just smile’ and ‘best wishes’ cards in the Quick Makes feature.  From this feature, I have already attempted my own version of the ‘new baby’ card.  Finally, the 3 Ways With Monochrome Feature makes me want to buy and practice with shrink wrap. 



The magazine also has a feature which shows you how to recycle pieces from board games such as scrabble and monopoly.  I like the cards in this feature,but personally, as I am still a big kid, I still play these games and aren’t willing to give up any pieces from them just yet.  Maybe if they get a bit wrecked and I have to replace . . . .

I always enjoy reading the letters and seeing other people’s designs.  The magazine also has a crafter’s agony aunt section, which in this issue shows you how to make paper rosettes, use acetate and shrink plastic, and gives some design ideas.  The magazine also usually has a section for those who wish to sell their products, which this month shows you how to photograph your makes effectively and professionally.

Other features in issue 104 include some lovely designs with Sarah Kay stamps, how to use a sketch (which isn’t a drawing, but a certain way of designing your card), a section purely for subscribers to the magazine, with extra design ideas and competitions, a quick tutorial on embossing paste, which I have yet to try, a section on oriental style cards and beading, a column by Create and Craft presenter, Leonie Pujol, ideas for cards and gifts for gardeners,, how to use buttons on your cards, a huge trend right now, an article about reader, Candice Foers-Bates, and how she built her crafting business, and lots of other card design ideas.  

I’ll keep you updated on my projects from this issue, but in the meantime, why don’t you try them out for yourself.  This issue should still be available in most decent newsagents and supermarkets.

Happy Crafting!

Holly xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget