Thursday, 7 June 2012

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft Issue 106 (July 2012)

Sooooo, thanks to the bank holiday, my copy of the new issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft came a bit earlier than usual.  It was a welcome surprise when I got home from a terrible shift on Saturday to find that my magazine had arrived.  So, after a bath and some Pringles, I settled down to catch up on some TV and read through my magazine.

The magazine cover advertises summer ideas, paper pieced designs, glass painting, chipboard ideas, floral designs, slider cards, Tim Holtz distress markers and a floral card.

The magazine has the usual features - Joanna Sheen's column, with a Bollywood-inspired wedding card; Sharon Armstrong's '3 Ways With Sketches' using pretty Polly Pickleberry designs; Leonie Pujol's column, showing you how to make a summery everyday card; and how to make the cover card 'Fabulous Fuschia'.  This feature indicates that it is an advanced masterclass, and it certainly looks that way.  The card looks very complicated and fussy, with a lot of work involved to make the fuchsias.

Other regular features include free bonus papers and how to use them.  The papers this issue are holiday inspired, with beach huts, swimming costumes and suitcases.  I love the designs in the magazines showing you how to use these papers and I am having a go at a couple of them myself.

There is also the letters page, with some great designs by readers.  I particularly like the goth meets Audrey Hepburn wedding card made by Deborah Woollon-Kemp.  I also like many of the cards in the article showing you how to use this issue's freebiew, which are some lovely bright 'Beach Babe' papers and coordinating ribbons.  I particularly like the 'Summer Lovin' card, but feel that it needs something extra, as it has a huge white area, the 'Surf's up!' card, which I have recreated below, and the 'Beautiful bloom' card, which I have also recreated, although not using the free papers and ribbons, as I had loads of scraps of paper and ribbon to use up, which this card is perfect for.



Finally, of the regular features, the Agony Aunt 'Help' section has some great cards.  Clare Buswell, has made a great new home card using scraps of paper in a mosaic effect, and a cute new baby card using felt.  I'm tempting to attempt this one too.  Also, Sharon Armstrong has some amazing tips of how to turn any little mistakes into a great card.

Of course, we shouldn't forget the giveaways and competitions, and this issue you can win:
  • £1,000 American Craft goody bag
  • Craft storage bag (subscribers only)
  • Joanna Sheen 'From the Heart of the Garden' CD-Rom set (subscribers only)
  • The London Line goody bag
  • Little Claire stamps
  • Stampin' Up stamps
  • Pink Petticoat voucher
  • Colorbox stamp set

There is also a reader offer from www.fantasticribbons.com and Willow Tree Crafts.


Other features, articles and cards I particularly like in this issue are:

Stamping knowhow feature 'Say It With Flowers' has some lovely cards to try out, of which I love 'Warm wishes' and 'Butterfly kiss', both using pretty stamps and muted summer colours for a pretty, elegant result.  Karen  Watson also has great hints and tips for you in this article.

'10 Ideas With Chipboard' has some bright cards for all occasions, my favourite of which is 'Totally tags' as it is a little unusual, and as you can probably all already tell, I generally veer away from the traditional and more towards the unusual for my own designs.  This feature also shows you how to make a little book using chipboard.  Baker's twine features heavily in this feature, something I seem to also be falling in love with at the moment as I've had many arguments with the traditional ribbon recently.

'Surf's Up, Sister!' has some amazing slider cards in a surf design, where the surfer character actually moves across the card.  The designs in this article are made using a Fancy Pants kit, which according to the article is available from (and on offer at) Willow Tree Crafts (www.willowtreecrafts.co.uk), although I couldn't find them on the website.  It is a difficult website to navigate so maybe I just didn't look hard enough.  The kits are £15 each, so I hope you get to make more than one card from the kit, I'm thinking 5 at the very least, otherwise, as much as I love the cards, they are not very good value for money.  This idea could be adapted quite easily though using chipboard die-cuts that you already have in your stash.

As always, the Quick Makes section has a few cards and ideas that I like.  'Just a note' has inspired me to ruffle ribbon on my card for an chic and elegant effect, being careful not to make it look like a curtain pelmet of course.  I also like 'Hello friend' and 'Happy birthday' made using BasicGrey Konnichiwa collection oriental-style papers and element stickers (http://www.basicgrey.com/scrapbook/shop/product/kon-3641/).

Knowhow: paper piecing  'Capital Cards' has some fabulous father's day/general men's cards.  I don't know about you, but I always find men's/boys cards the hardest to make.  The cards in this feature look pretty simple to make, but really effective, especially when shading is added.  I will try some of these for father's day when my new Letraset Promarkers (www.letraset.com/products/8-ProMarkers) arrive to make shading easier.

As I've just been given a load of acetate, and seen another glass painting feature in Crafts Beautiful (see previous post), I am also loving the 'Cardmaker's Guide to Glasspainting', which has step-by-step instructions, templates and ideas for patterns and products.  I just need to buy some glass paints now . . .

Another article to note is '6 Ways to Say Good Luck' with ideas for exam, new job, driving test, and first day at school cards, amongst others.  These also use BasicGrey papers. 

Other features to note are: 10 Minute Makes 'Shabby Chic' cards are sweet, and I particularly like 'Thinking of you'.  Butterflies are still huge on cards.  'Recycle with Paper Doilies' has ideas on how to pretty up your cards using that old party staple, the doily.  This seems to be a trend also, as they also featured in Crafts Beautiful recently too.  '6 Ways With a Flower Punch' shows you how to use the same flower punch for many different effects.  Sharon Armstrong shows you how to use Tim Holtz's new distress markers and Loredana Bucaria shows you how to use vintage dies for stylish designs for cards and gift boxes.

There are loads of projects I want to try in this magazine, but I ran out of bank holiday, so they will now have to wait until the weekend, or maybe even a bit longer as I am still on a mission to make some stock for my craft fairs.

As always, I will keep you updated with my cards, but in the meantime . . .

Happy Crafting.

Holly
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget