Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft - Issue 107 (August 2012)


Soooo, on getting back from my holidays, I found the latest issue of C&P through my letterbox.

This month’s issue is full of loads of good ideas, and here is my usual run down of them:

This month’s issue comes with some free rubber stamps from the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady collection, and are very pretty, featuring poppies, roses and another flower I don’t know the name of.  Sorry, but I am the most un-green-fingered person in the whole world!  It also has some sentiment stamps.  I made this card using these stamps:



This is my own version of a card in the magazine.

The cover card of this month’s issue is a cupcake card made using polymer clay.  Should I ever make enough money from my craft fairs, I may buy some polymer clay and have a go at these myself.  The cupcakes actually look quite simple to make, if a little faffy due to their minisculeness.

Other features on the cover include children’s cards (which I know I always struggle with) and some sporty cards (one if which I have attempted, along with how to colour greyscale, step-by-step guide to teabag folding and quickmakes.

Anyway, into the magazine.  As usual, the first thing in the magazine is the letters page, with cards and ideas from various readers, followed by some ideas on how to use the free stamps.  My particular favourite is ‘red delight’ which is the one I have adapted above.

This issue launches the ‘Cardmaker of the Year 2012’ competition, with 13 categories to enter and £5000 of crafting goodies up for grabs.  The competition is also for a good cause, as all entries are donated to charity.  I’m umming and aahhing about entering at the moment.  I know which category I would enter, but need to come up with an idea for a stunning card.  The thinking cap is on at the moment . . .

Giveaways in this issue include:
  • ·         Promarkers;
  • ·         Kimsie Whimsies CD-roms;
  • ·         FlitterGlu starter kits
  • ·         Kaisercraft Save the Date and Sears & Son ranges;
  • ·         Kids’ crafting sets and
  • ·         Woodware goody bags.


Subscribers could also win Soul Food goody bags and American Crafts Knock Outs punch kits.

One of my favourite features in this issue is Wedding Favours, because it features me!  It is an article on those who have made their own wedding stationary and my Save the Date cards and Wedding Invitation designs are featured, along with a very old picture of me and my fiancé.  It wasn’t until I was approached about this article that I realised that me and Phil never have our photo taken together.

Another feature I particularly like in this issue is 10 Ideas for Sporty Toppers, and I even attempted one of these cards:



I also like Fabulous Folding, a know how on teabag folding.  I particularly like the ‘sweet wishes’ card, which features a cupcake, and ‘just for you’, which features a butterfly.  I intend to attempt these cards at some point when I have a free hour or so.  I’ll keep you updated.

A card I really like is the girly card featured in Leonie Pujol’s column, which is a haberdashery style card, which actually uses stamps, but I thought I would attempt to draw the images, as they are basically outlines and should be simple enough, or my version of them anyway.  I was going to attempt it before writing this blog but got distracted watching Sinbad.  Anyway, it is pretty and very very girly and I will, as always, post it on Twitter, and probably this blog, when I have made it.

Finally, my last favourite feature is regular feature, 3 Ways with Sketches, which this month features some lovely Beatrix Potter designs.  The best thing about these is that they are suitable for either men or women, and men’s cards are so hard to think up.  I think I may have to invest in some Beatrix Potter materials.

Other features this issue are:
  • ·         Kid’s Corner, which has a papier mache hot air balloon and birdcage
  • ·         Help, the agony aunt section, with advice on quilling, using Artist Spackle and blending alcohol pens
  • ·         How to colour greyscale;
  • ·         Little Princess, which is a secret diary card perfect for any little princesses out there
  • ·         Sissix World, which has a cute baby birth announcement card
  • ·         Upcycle With . . . newspaper, cards using newspaper as backgrounds or embellishment
  • ·         10 minute makes, with retro-style cards to keep friends and family updated with your news
  • ·         Joanna’s World, featuring a new home card by Joanna Sheen
  • ·      Knowhow stamping feature, Just Your Cup of Tea, featuring lacy, vintage teacup designs using Stampin’ Up products; and
  • ·         Quick Makes


I really like this issue and have got some fabulous ideas from it.  I hope to find time to make a fair few of the cards featured in this magazine, and I think I will find the free stamps useful for some other projects I have in mind.

As always, I will keep you updated . . .

Happy Crafting.

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget