Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft - Issue 108 (September 2012)

Soooo, excitement all round when the new issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft dropped through my letterbox on Friday, I think a week before it hits the shops.  Apologies if this review is not as good or lengthy as normal, but I am full of cold and sooo sleepy, I may fall asleep mid-typing.  I might also get very distracted and write a load of gibberish as I'm writing this watching some Olympic swimming.  I hadn't intended to, but am finding the Olympics quite hypnotising, even if I don't understand a thing about sports in general.

Anyway, back to the magazine . . .

When I got home from work after a very tiring day, as we have been moving offices, and no-one but me seems able to lift a box these days, it was a welcome surprise to find the magazine in the letter box.  It meant I could sit down and have a read.

This month's issue comes with a free Summertime paper collection, with some very pretty papers.  In the magazine, there is also some money off vouchers for the Creative Craft Shows taking place later in the year.

There are also loads of giveaways and competitions in this issue, where you can win:
  • Sizzix Big Shot starter kit;
  • tickets to the Big Stamp and Scrapbooking Show on the weekend of 22nd/23rd September;
  • a Stampendous steampunk goody bag;
  • a Nigel May Craft into Christmas gift set;
  • a Woodware set;
  • a £100 craft bundle.
Subscribers can also win:
  • some Tonic punches;
  • Penny Black flower stamps.
Sooo, for the first time in a while, I actually really like the Joanne Sheen card in her column.  This card uses one of her Gruffies stamps, and is so cute.

I also like all the Steampunk cards in 'Victorian Moments' and this is a trend I would really like to get into, as I think steampunk cards make great cards for boys.  Fingers crossed I win the goodie bag (hint! hint!).

The Handmade with Love card in the subscriber's section is possibly my favourite card in the whole issue, based on a haberdashery theme, with a different use of ribbon, but to a really great effect.  I think I will attempt my own version of this card once I am feeling better and have the energy to sit in my craft room and craft again!

As always, there are ideas on how to use your freebies, and in this issue there are a few ideas I like.  There are also 10 ideas with ribbons, including rosettes, weaving and frames, and plenty of Quick Makes in various themes, including a few for the male of the species.  I particularly like the girly 'Happy Birthday' decoupage card and the 'For You' card.  This issue also has 6 ideas on how to do shabby chic and 5 ideas for teens - always so difficult to find inspiration for.  I really like some of the digistamps used in this feature, particularly the make ones, as teenage boys are always so difficult in general.

This issue also has 6 ways with peel-offs and 20 minutes makes features the lovely butterfly cover card.  I love the papers used on this card, which would be great for boys' cards, as well as girls'.  The Pink Paislee Prairie Hill 6x6 pack might just have to be a treat to myself this month.

The Cardmaker's guide to Shrink Plastic has some great hints and tips on how to use shrink plastic effectively and prevent mistakes.  There is also inspiration, tips and instructions on how to stamp fabric, with some lovely cards that would make amazing new home cards, in Fun with Fabric.

In Autumn Days. Jane Gill shows us how to make a wreath using paper and large circular punches.  I like the idea of this wreath, but unless you already have the punches in your stash, they would be pretty expensive to buy, requiring 4, all prices between £6 and £13.

There are also some great cardigan-style cards in Best Dressed.  Team these up with a necklace, as shown in the magazine, and they also make a great gift, as well as a card.

3 Ways with Sketches this issue has some back to school/thank you teacher ideas.  I am teaching the basics of using sketches at my next workshop, so this has given me some ideas.

In The Colour Clinic, Sharon Armstrong demonstrates how to colour with chalks - a new technique I have not previously come across, but looks like it gives great results.

I love the article about Skull and Cross Buns founder, Emily Fox, as this is something I would like to do in the future.  Now, just to source a photopolymer stamp making set.  Any ideas?  I also liked the article about Sharianne Creber, and how crafting helped her deal with postnatal depression.  This is something I can understand, suffering from depression myself, and finding crafting is a good therapy for this.  I also admire Sharianne for speaking out about her postnatal depression, as I think this still has a bit of a stigma about it, and having supported my sister through it twice, any awareness that can be raised of the condition is always a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I think this issue hits the shops on Thursday, so go buy it!

Happy Crafting.

Holly
xx

2 comments:

  1. I can totally recommend the Pink Paislee, Prairie Hill papers - so lovely to work with! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only just seen your comments about me :-) . Thank you kindly for your words about the article written about me. I agreed to do it for just that very reason, raising awareness of PND. Thanks again :-)
    Sharianne xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget