Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Review: Let's Make Cards Issue 53


Soooo, off I toddled last Friday to buy the new issue of LMC.  I'd got up early so I could get into town early and call at Tesco to pick it up on my way into work.  The plan had been to have a browse of it whilst I was drinking my coffee before I started any actual work.  But, disaster struck!  Tesco didn't have a copy.  I was most disappointed but reasoned that WH Smith (only a five minute walk away) would have it, so off I toddled to there instead. Nooooo, it was shut.  Didn't open until 8.45.  No wonder it is going down the pan if they don't even open for people to get their morning newspapers until most people are actually at work.  It doesn't surprise me that they are losing out to the supermarkets.  Anyway. I just accepted that I would have to wait until lunchtime to get the magazine, and consoled myself with a free latte from Cafe Nero instead.  I spent my morning working hard, and come lunchtime, off I toddled again to get my magazine.  Tesco still didn't have it on the shelves, but WH Smith did, and was by this time open.

Issue 53 of LMC comes with a Vintage Kitchen cardmaking kit, which includes:
  • Decoupage Sheet
  • Card Blanks
  • Dress-Shaped Card Blanks
  • Backing Papers
  • Die-Cut Motifs
  • Ribbons
  • Buttons
  • Pegs
  • Gems
  • Wire
  • Glitter
  • Foam Pads
  • Border Strips
  • Die Cut Sentiments
  • Printed Letters & Numbers
  • Mesh
  • Die Cut Toppers
  • Chipboard Accents.
It has all the usual features:  letters page, Corinne Brad's column. with a quick how to on soap making etc, along with lots of How Tos, which this month includes how to:

  • make a scalloped edge without a die-cutting machine
  • make a triangular blank
  • make a teapot aperture card
  • use a binding machine
  • form a decoupage motif
  • create a double easel card
  • use masking when stamping
  • make a penny slider.
There are also the giveaways, which this month are:

  • Daisy Trail Summer digikit
  • Silhouette Cameo
  • Berisford's ribbon set
  • Trimmits' glitter glue kits
  • Dotcomgiftshop vintage party kit
  • Fantastic Ribbons' Christmas Homespun pack.
As always, first feature proper is cards you can make using just your kit.  This month has 17 vintage cards for you.  My favourite, I think, has to be 'Always Time', which features a cute teapot decoupage motif.  I also like the final three cards, which are actually mini cards: 'Thank you', with a funky cherry motif; 'Kisses', featuring a strawberry motif; and 'Pink Roses', featuring what it says on the tin really - pink roses.

The next feature uses the chipboard motifs in the card kit, of which my favourite has to be 'Sweet Treats', featuring lots of scrumptious strawberries - I can almost taste them looking at the card, and at least the slugs haven't got to these ones, unlike the ones in my garden.  This page also has a coordinating strawberry tealight holder from tch.net, which I love.

Next is 5 Cards Using the Graphtec Silhouette Cameo, which has some lovely cards the Silhouette Cameo.  My favourite is 'Spotty Dress', which I have tried to recreate here:

 

This is not an exact copy of the card in the magazine, as I don't have a Silhouette Cameo, but did the best I could colouring a doily red to make the bottom part of the belt, and using my new toy, my Sizzix Big Shot, to die cut the flowers.  This is the first card I have made using my new Big Shot, and I have decided to use this card for my office manager's birthday, which is today.

Despite not having the Silhouette Cameo, I am hopeful, as LMC are giving one away this month, which would save me a nice £300.

The Silhouette Cameo is also used in the 10 Minute Masterclass to make a pretty tag featuring hearts and roses.

Tracey Daykin-Jones shows you how to shape your card blanks in Top Makes With Your Card Blanks, including triangles, circles, stars, a semi-circle rocker, a handbag and a cake-shaped card.

The Crafter's Guide has a guide to making the most of apertures, with hints and tips on how to create them, with what products and how they can add interest.

This issue also has a Child's Play feature, with ideas to keep the little ones entertained over the summer holidays and a how to make your own playdough.

In Card School, Corinne Brad (fast becoming one of my favourite designers with all her brilliant designs and ideas) shows you how to make an origami fold card, which although I haven't had chance to attempt yet, I will be trying at some point in the future hopefully.  So far, I have a pretty free weekend ahead of me, so maybe I will try it then.

Corinne also shows you how to make books and mini wallets, perfect for storing recipes, and mostly using the free kit.  Then she shows you how to make 4 Girlie Cards Using Gorjuss Stamps.  I love the you're a star card, which is very versatile.  I'm tempted to invest in this stamp, but as this will be the first month without my pub wage, I shall have to see how many pennies I have spare.

I made my first decoupage card following instructions for my favourite card in Six All-Occasion Folded Cards, and here it is:



More decoupage cards can also be found in 4 Cards with Decoupage Effects.

Finally, Thinking Inking has advice on stamping and heat embossing, including advice on which are the best stamps, what are the best tools, how to do masking and heat embossing, and how to achieve the perfect stamped image.

I have really loved this issue.  Not only are there some great card designs and ideas, but there is also a lot of advice, more so than in previous issues, which will be really helpful for the cardmaking beginner.

Next month's issue comes with a 12 Days of Christmas kit.  You may think this is a tad early, but I have already started my Christmas cards.  Anyway, it is out on 17th August, and I can't wait.

In the meantime . . .

Happy Crafting.

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget