Thursday, 23 August 2012

Naming Names

Sooooo, I've gone through a few names for this blog post, the front-runners including the Shakespeare quote (I think) 'What's in a name', but I decided on the current, 'Naming names'.  Anyway, that it besides the point, I just thought that I would share that with you . . .

Sooooooo, there's nothing more personal on a card than your own name.  I am always more than happy to add names to existing cards or even design a card around a name.  I've had a few orders for both recently.

The first personalised card I did was a birthday card for my niece Georgia.  Please see my previous post 'The Curse of Hannah Montana' for my full rant on this.  This card was always intended to have her name in it, and as such, was pretty much designed around it.  In this instance, the name was added using glitter sticker letters.


The next card I made which had a name on it was one of the three butterfly cards I already had in my collection, and just needed a name adding to it.  From memory, this card was made using a lilac blank from my stash, and the butterflies were made using various papers from my Dovecraft Tea Party paper stack and some coloured wire I already had in my stash.  Adding the name was a simple case of printing out the name on white paper, layering it onto coordinating paper and then attaching to the card.


At the same time as making this card, I also adapted an existing design to include a name.  I had made this large single butterfly card previously, with Grandma on it.  However, this order needed a name.  I used a white card blank from my stash and covered this with some Boofle lilac flower paper.  The butterfly was made using other papers from the Boofle paper pack and a coloured wire from my stash.   I added the name using confetti letters from my stash.  And then to finish it off, added a coordinating butterfly.


Other cards which have been personalised with names, but not really designed around the name, have been a number of new baby cards.  This one is one of my favourites.  I had been playing around with this sheep and 'Welcome Little One' design for a while, both of which came in a Papermania stamp set.  I used a white card blank and covered it with paper from my Spring Drop paper pad, which I got free as part of my subscription gift when I subscribed to Crafts Beautiful.  Some of the flowers are glittery.  The sheep and sentiment I stamped in black on white card.  I coloured the sheep in with Promarkers Cool Grey 1 and 2 and layered the sentiment onto some blue gingham paper from the Boofle paper pack.  I then added some sticky back ribbon to the bottom, which came from my stash. To incorporate the name, I simply moved the sheep to the left a little, and added the name using letter stickers which I had in my stash, but I think are from Yellow Moon.


I've then moved onto designing cards around the name. This first one is a design I actually copied from an old issue of Crafts Beautiful magazine.  The first issue I ever bought in fact - I think it is the February 2012 issue.  

This card was made using a pink card blank from an old Let's Make Cards kit, to which I added some green spotty roses baby, which I think came from another, different, Let's Make Cards kit.  I added black faux stitching to this and wrapped it with pink dotty ribbon, which I think came free with an old issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft, although it could also have come from an old Let's Make Card kit.


I added a panel of white card to the top centre and added black faux stitching around this also.  I then added chipboard letters to the panel.  These had come free with the same issue of Crafts Beautiful I took the design from.  To finish the card, I added a chipboard flower and a scrap of green dotty ribbon.

My latest card is this one.  My brief was a card with a guitar and the name 'Simon' on it.

I decided to base the design around the name, using the guitar to create the 'I'.  I used some free templates I had received with an old issue of Crafts Beautiful, and glittered the rest of the name in blue on white card.  I then traced the guitar picture and added this, using Promarkers to colour it in and adding silver glitter.


I then made an A5 black card blank and to this I attached some dark blue paper which I had got in a paper pack with an issue of Crafts Beautiful.  I added silver faux stitching to this.  I die-cut a fancy frame from some shiny blue paper, using my Sizzix Big Shot and some X-Cut dies, layering this with the name panel and attaching to the card.  To finish the card, I randomly added tiny blue stars from my stash.

I've just realised, all but one of these cards was an order for my step-mother (non-wicked), but then again, I think she could single-handedly keep me in business!  She does like to set me some projects though.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget