Thursday, 16 August 2012

Review: Crafts Beautiful - Issue 245 (October 2012)

Sooooo, after seeing a couple of sneak previews of projects from the new Crafts Beautiful on Twitter, I was excited when the new issue was waiting for me when I got home last night.  It feels like an age since the last issue . . .

So, this issue seems to be a Halloween and Christmas issue, understandable as it is the October issue, even if it is still only August.  This issue comes with a free foil embossing kit, which includes an embossing tool, embossing template, foil, ideas book and some blanks.  I love the little ideas book, which has some great ideas and instructions on how to use the rest of the kit, colour foil and emboss card/paper.  The magazine also has some free Christmas papers and ideas on how to use them.

Giveaways in this issue include:

  • Christmas washitape set
  • Stephanie Weightman Winter Angels kit
  • Penny Black Christmas stamps
  • Wild Rose Studios papers and stamp set
  • American Crafts Christmas goody bag
  • Tilda Christmas Play goodies
  • Fiskar's set
  • Skull and Cross Buns stamps and inks

Sooo, what do I like this issue I hear you ask?

Well, first off (as I'm a little strange and read magazines backwards) is the idea from Sara Naumann's mixed media clinic at the back of the magazine.  Sara has created two lovely cards using bubble wrap to create a lovely pattern and background.

I really like the card designs in 'Teenage Tunes; which are perfect for those girls that aren't too girly, or those that are into music.  These cards use music backgrounds, greys and bright colours and have a grungy feel to them.

On a Halloween theme, I love 'All A-glow', which shoes you how to make pumpkin candle holders.  Great for a Halloween party decoration.  There is also a pumpkin card and a gift tag.

I also like '7 Ways With Witchy Motifs', as I love the Witch card, which although I probably won't use for Halloween, it is a great idea for my Grandma's birthday card next year, with an adapted sentiment. These are cartooney style cards and would be great for kids.  I also like the Froggy, and this would be ideal for kids (big or small) who is a Harry Potter fan or who likes all things supernatural.

Also on a Halloween note are the Ghastly Ghouls kinetic cards, also using K&Company designs.  These cards all have moving parts or pop-ups to add to the Halloween spookiness.  There is also a cool Halloween decoration made using polymer clay.

I like elements of Joanna Sheen's 'Natural Glamour'.  The Nature Stamps card is a modern clean design, which I really like.  I also like the corset element of the Corset Stamp card, but I would probably change the backing paper to modernise the card a little.

Card School has ideas for using stencils with your ink pads to create amazing backgrounds, together with stamps to make amazing cards.  My favourite is the sunset-coloured card, which I would love to have the instructions for, as this one seems to be just as an example, with instructions for one of the other cards.

The cut out and keep projects are well suited to me, as they feature shoes - one of my favourite things.

'Go For Gold' shows you how to jazz up some plain white tiles using Flitter Glu.  These would make great gifts for the home.  There is also a pretty card using the same techniques.

One of the things I had seen as a sneak preview on Twitter was the 'Sew Vintage' tea cup pin cushion. These are pin cushions placed in a tea cup for a vintage look.  I think these look amazing, and rather than spending a fortune finding a set of tea cups, these could be made individual by sourcing tea cups from charity shops, which is my plan.  The actual pin cushion is really simple to make.  I think I might make some of these for my next craft fair.  Fingers crossed I find time, as I think these might sell well.

Christmas projects include 'Winter Greens', which uses Bo Bunny Father Christmas Collection goodies to make some more traditional-style cards, and 'Jolly Tidings' which uses sizzix dies to create an usual , but pretty Christmas card and a more traditional snowman card.  

There are also Stephanie Weightman's holographic 'Angel Kisses'.  These would make very pretty Christmas cards, but also could be adapted for other occasions.  Christmas decorations ideas can be found in 'Feeling Frosty'.  'Party Table' has some lovely invitations and place cards with a traditional Christmas theme, along with napkin rings and menu design ideas.  These would also be great for a Christmas wedding.

'Scandi Style' has some Tilda angel  stockings, which I love.  They are taken from Tilda's Winter Ideas book, which I actually have and I fell in love with these stockings then.  I'm just saving up to be able to treat myself to some Tilda fabric, and then I will have a go at these

There are also more cards, Halloween decorations, rosettes, bags, bookmarks, Halloween treat jars, a recipe for pistachio meringues, decorative plant pots, baby bootees, a crocheted teddy and blanket, cross-stitched cards, a tea cosy and egg cosy made from an old jumper, pendants, earrings and a quilled autumn wreath.  There is also a new take on using napkins to decorate in 'Cupcakes Galore!'.

Just a note - I kind of wish that I wasn't already a subscriber, as the free paper packs you get for subscribing this month look amazing.

I have really enjoyed the magazine and it is full to the brim with ideas, but have not yet had chance to make anything from it to show you.  But it is out tomorrow, so go get it!

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget