Monday, 6 August 2012

Review: Simply Homemade - Issue 20

Soooo, I've recently started buying a new crafts magazine - Simply Homemade.

This monthly magazine features a variety of different crafts.  For example, in this issue, there are ideas for wedding invitations, mosaic, sewing and knitting, amongst many others.  It costs £4.99 and comes with a free gift or two each month.  This months free gifts were a pair of knitting needles, a knitting pattern book and template page.

The magazine shows you how to use your free gifts.  In this issue, there are knitting patterns for a bath mat that I would like to try (when I learn to knit) and a knitted bag, and the template page  can be used to make a wash-bag for students leaving for university next month.  The same article also has a good luck card, a memo board, and emergency money box, a diary and some 'stay in touch' post cards.

Each issue has a New Products and Projects section, which this issue is about lace and pinks.  I love the lace shawls in this feature, and there are hints and tips for knitting them.

This issue also has an interview with multimedia artist, Kirtsy Elson.

As with any good magazine, there are plenty of giveaways.  In this issue, you could win:
  • Vilene bondaweb
  • Scarves, Collars, Ties  Belts book
  • Kaisercraft tower storage
  • Dremel Versatip tool
  • Daylight Foldi LED lamp
  • Gutermann Sew-All thread & scissor set
  • tickets to the Craft for Christmas & Hobbycrafts shows in Glasgow and Birmingham
  • a Fantastic Ribbons bundle
  • DIY apron sewing kit
  • Hemline scissor and tape measure pack
  • Bunkerbound Indoor Allotment
  • Lilliputeins Noemie activity pouffe
  • Fancy Moon voucher; and
  • Merci Maman personalised heart bracelet
My favourite project in the book is 'Tying the Knot' with some amazing wedding stationary and decoration ideas.  The colour scheme is inspired by indian summers, and are perfect for a late summer/autumn or beach wedding, utilising azures and burnt oranges.  The main technique in this project is ink blending, which gives an amazing effect.  This project has designs for invitations, place cards, favour boxes, napkin rings, table decorations and glass charms.  If I was having an autumn wedding, then I would have loved these designs.  I'm tempted to make some up as samples I love them that much.

Another project I really like is 'Under The Sea', a quilted bag with a fish motif to the front.  I had never thought of using quilting to make a bag before, but the effect, using only square and triangle patches is wonderful, and it doesn't look too complicated to make.

Other projects in this magazine are:
  • An apple a day - how to make a cool apple-shaped pomander;
  • A touch of glass - mosaic techniques from absolute beginner to the more advanced from decorating a glass plate, to a mirror with mosaic pictures, with plant pots and lampshades along the way;
  • Vintage chic - vintage keepsakes from cards to picture frames;
  • how to make your own sausage rolls;
  • Memories in the making - how to do effective scrapbooking, from the basics;
  • Summer nights - funky 60s and 70s style beaded jewellery; and
  • Bunny family picnic - patterns for a knitted family of bunnies.
I really like this magazine and its variety of different crafts, with projects for beginners and the more advanced.  My only moan would be the amount of advertising in the magazine, but it is a fairly new magazine and advertising is an important revenue for them.  The quality of the projects do make up for it.  I am so impressed that I have treated myself to a subscription!

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this review. I've been subscribed for a few months but there has been a huge increase in the number of adverts in this issue, and the price has gone up £1 (not that it matters to me as I've paid my subscription). But the projects are great, and fab free gifts... an incentive for you to start knitting? xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget