Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Blossoming


Soooo, I just wanted to share with you a personalised card I made recently.  Well, actually I made two – one was an order from a colleague, and I liked it that much that I made my stepmother (non-wicked) one too for her birthday:



I really like this card because it is a bit different.  A bit faffy to make, but I think that the effect is worth it.

I had originally been asked to make a 30th birthday card for a friend of a colleague who liked bright-asian inspired colours, patterns etc.  I think this card fits that brief, but turned out so different to my original design.

My original design (in my head) has been bright blues, pinks and purple with feathers and jewels (all things I had in my stash).  However, when I sat down to make that card, the feathers were not only too big, but were not being very cooperative, so a re-think was required.

I’m still not entirely sure how I came up with the idea I did, but I had done similar backgrounds on my bird cards previously.  These had been just one colour and had involved stamping multiple times the branch stamp from my Stampin’ Up easter set and then heat embossing.

This time, however, I decided I wanted to use three colours – pink, blue and purple.  So, I started in one corner and stamped a couple of branches onto a square of black card using clear ink.  I then used one colour and covered the ink in this and heated the powder.  Once this had set, I then did my next row, again stamping a few branches, and using a different colour embossing powder and heating.  I built up my layers like this until I got to the opposite corner of the card. 

I then wrapped the card with some bright pink ribbon and made and attached a bow from the same ribbon.  I also added some faux stitching around the edge using a white gel pen.

Using small pink gems, I made a ‘30’ in the top left hand corner, and on a small rectangle of black card, I wrote the sentiment using a silver pen.  I then edged this piece of card with some purple gems and attached the whole thing to the centre of the blank.

Then, using some flower gems in blue, purple and pink, I created a circle of flowers around the central sentiment.  I then attached the finished piece to a square card blank.

I really love the pretty finish to this card, and as I say, liked it so much, that I made another for the stepmother (non-wicked).  As always, I can never make two cards exactly the same, so I did this one in just pinks and purples, used slightly different ribbon, and instead of a ‘30’, I used two different large flower gems, stuck together in the top right hand corner.  I think she liked it.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget