Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft Issue 109 (October 2012)

Sooo, the first Christmassy issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft hits the shelves today, but as a subscriber, I'm lucky to get a copy beforehand, which means I can write this review to coincide with it being available in the shops . . . lucky you!

This issue comes with a cute Adam Prescott Christmas stamp set, and some chipboard sentiments.

I've had a very busy weekend, so haven't had time to make any of the projects in this issue yet, but give me chance.

Anyway, on to the review . . . 

My favourite card project in this issue has to be Bev Rochester's 'Christmas Morning' in thr subscriber-only section.  This card has a lovely image from Lili of the Valley and I am a huge fan of Bev's designs anyway.

More Lili of the Valley stamps are used in 5 Ideas for a Cosy Christmas.  Again, these are brought to life by Bev Rochester.  I already have some of these images as Lili of the Valley mini masterpieces so I think I might attempt to recreate some of these.  Unfortunately, I don't have the image to make my favourite card - 'dreaming of santa' - but as I only live 20 minutes away from the Lili of the Valley shop, I may just go treat myself, although I do believe they have a free postage offer on at the moment.

I also like the projects in 10 Ideas For A Scandinavian Christmas, in particular the 'nice and easy' and 'patchwork panels' cards.  If you don't have the stamps, then the magazine has a good tip for making Scandinavian style cards with the stamps you already have - simply stick to the red and white theme. 

Another card I particularly like this issue is 'Just to Say' from the quick makes.  This would be suitable for male or female and I think I particularly like it because the papers used are all available as single sheets, rather than having to buy an expensive paper pack, only to use two sheets, as I have done in the past.

Away from cards, Leoni Pujol has an amazing halloween wreath in her column, mostly made from ribbon.

Finally, of my favourites, the Christmas Tree card in Know How: Applique - Material Makes is lovely.  It looks pretty simple to make, and is even the card featured in the step by step guide.

Also important, I think are the giveaways, and this month, you could win:

  • All Our Yesterdays decoupage and stamps sets
  • Encyclopaedia of Card and Papercraft CDs
  • Unity Stamp goody bags
  • Lili of the Valley goody bags
  • Sizzix embossing set
  • Flower Soft goody bags
  • Stampin' Up! halloween goody bags
  • Woodware goody bags


Also in this issue are 3 very different cards using the freebies, some more traditional Christmas cards using Penny Black stamps in Peace & Joy and some trend predictions from some of the top celeb crafters, including Tim Holtz, Leoni Pujol and Stepahnie Weightman.  There are also some retro Christmas cards in 3 Ways with Sketches and 3 cards using the bonus papers.

This issue's masterclass is an iris folded card, which in slightly different colours would make a lovely wedding card.  Also on the theme of weddings are some unusual save the dates, using sticky back plastic and acrylic paint to turn them into scratch cards.

Halloween ideas in this issue include cake toppers, invites and recipe cards and there are some lovely ideas for cards for grandparents using digistamps, along with some indian-summer inspired cards in 20 Minute Makes.

This issue also has a guide to printing for your craft, ideas for upcycling various odds and ends and there is a colourful canvas featuring the riles of the home in Kids' Corner.

This is a great issue with loads of ideas - and not just for Christmas, but other occasions and in general too.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget