Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Review: Crafts Beautiful Christmas Special 2012 (Issue 246)

Sooooo, sorry this is a couple of days later that I would have liked it to be, but I have been a very busy bee. Anyway, here is my review of the latest issue of Crafts Beautiful, and what an issue it is . . .

This issue comes with some very useful free Christmas papers and chipboard Christmas sentiments, both of which I intend to put to good use when I start making my 'special' Christmas cards, as opposed to the 'bulk' Christmas cards I am currently making.

Before I even start, I will tell you that I love this issue, and I have started on some projects on it already, with more to follow once I get my bag orders out of the way (not that I'm complaining that I have them, I just, as usual, wish there were more hours in my day, or that I could afford to work part-time).

I'll start you off with one of my favourite projects, and one that I have actually managed to make something from, if, as usual, I have adapted it slightly.  This is my version of the Baubles card in the cut out and keep section:


My changes to this card are the colour scheme (the magazine one is blue) and the shapes of the baubles (all the ones in the magazine are the same shape).  I'm also going to make this card in reds.

From this project, I also like (and intend to try) the stitched tree card.

Others cards I want to try are the Christmas Trees, Baubles and Gifts Galore cards in the '7 Ways with Christmas Peel-Offs' cards.  

Baubles seem to be a key trend this year, as they can also be found on the cards in 'Tinsel Time', which use Woodware stamps and 'Bouncing Baubles', which has some lovely 3-D retro-style ideas.  Other cards in this issue include:

  • Silhouette cards in Corinne Bradd's card school on paper cutting;
  • Pop-up, easel and shaped cards in 'Home For Christmas';
  • Sparkling snowflake cards in 'Season of Sparkle';
  • Cute animal cards in 'Puppy Love';
  • Doodle cards in 'Star of Wonderful'; and
  • more cards from Corinne Brad using die-cutting in 'Snowflake Style'.
Other projects in this magazine include nordic-style decorations made using both card and felt.  I think that this would be a good project to get the kids involved with is and all you need is some red card or felt and white/silver pens and embellishments.  

There is also a cute quilled winter scene, complete with Christmas Tree and Snowman in 'Quilling with Claire', and a fabric hanging advent calender, which I could be tempted to try if I find some time before 1st December.

There are also crackers, candle holders, wreaths, a gingerbread house cross stitch and cushion, peppermint creams, a bookmark and porcelain painting.

Away from Christmas, Corinne Brad has a lovely snuggly-looking quilt.  I really want to make a quilt, but again, this is something that I am struggling to find time to do.  Maybe this is an after Christmas project, and I think I will follow Corinne's pattern.  

Corinne has also crochets an amazing gadget cover, this time for an e-reader.

I love the slippers in 'Toasty Toes', and these can be made in children or adult sizes, with the templates downloadable.  I would love to be able to make these for my nieces for Christmas, and a pair for my fiance, so he stops stealing my slippers!

I also like the apparently simple beret in 'Little Softie'.  Once I've practised my knitting, I would like to make this for my nieces.  This project also has a pair of leg warmers to match.

There is also some lovely jewellery by Brenda Harvey and some jar cosies.

Finally, there are some money off vouchers for The Range and Hobbycraft and loads of giveaways this issue:

  • a Sizzix Big Shot starter set;
  • Learn A Skill, Make A Gift days;
  • £500 Storage 4 Crafts voucher;
  • Graphic 45 goody bags;
  • Make Me Workshop classes;
  • Pink Paislee goody bags;
  • Daisy Trail goody bags; and
  • Interplay kits.
Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget