Thursday, 25 October 2012

Holly Hobbie

Soooo, in this month's issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft, I was treated to a free Holly Hobbie stamp set and paper collection.  Holly Hobbie always brings back childhood memories for me as I'm pretty sure I had Holly Hobbie duvet, curtains and wallpaper at some point . . . along with Strawberry Shortcake!!!!  Anywho, I seem to be digressing . . . 

These freebies have come in very handy and I started using them pretty much straight away to make some Christmas cards, or at least the elements of some Christmas cards, and they have been well used.

At the time, I was struggling from card-maker's block, but I have always found that when suffering from this, the best thing to do is make toppers etc.  You don't need to have a set card in mind, and more often that not it will inspire you.  So, this was what I did . . .

I was desperate to use my new distress inks also, so I combined the two:

For the first topper, I stamped with the brushed corduroy distress ink (the only one I had at the time) for a vintage/sepia look.  Word to the wise, don't try to explain this to a boy - I tried to explain sepia to my darling fiance and got the same blank look I give him when he talks IT/internetty things to me.  I then got his explanation of it (wrong of course!).  

Anyway, moving on, as I said, I stamped this in brushed corduroy distress ink, which is a lovely rich brown colour.  I then used promakers to colour in the image.  I tried to stay with vintagey, subdued colours, so I used antique pink for the hat and a couple of patches on the apron, buttercup for the hair (not that you can really see, but I know it's there) and ivory for the dress.  Other colours I used for the presents and patches were pair green, soft mint, bluebell and oatmeal (I think, its a few days since I did this image), along with tan for the boots.  I would just like to say that I am amazed at my shading on the hat on this one - I keep practising and I am getting better.  I then edged the card with brushed corduroy.

Once my creativity returned and inspiration hit, I made this card:


This card was made using some free papers from an old issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft.  They are not actually Christmas papers, but I think they go very well with the image and have a Christmassy feel regardless.  I finished the card with a length of snowflake ribbon and a peel off sentiment.

For the second image, I had more distress inks and wanted to try them out, so I stamped the image in Memento London Fog (grey) and coloured using distress inks victorian velvet (hat and apron), dusty concord (dress), forest moss (leaves) and brushed corduroy (boots and plant pots).  To finish, I used a cardinal red promarker for the poinsettias (as I don't have a red distress ink - yet).  Again, I am impressed with myself on the shading.  To finish, I used victorian velvet distress ink to edge the card.

I then made this card:


This was made using various papers from the freebie Holly Hobbie paper pack and a white 'Happy Christmas' peel off, which I coloured with the cardinal red promarker and before it had chance to dry dabbed with a piece of tissue to lighten the colour.  I really just did this to see what would happen, but I like the result.

I am loving these freebies and can't thank Cardmaking & Papercraft for them.  I will be using them much more . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget