Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft - Issue 111 (Christmas)

Soooo, I've had this issue a few days now (the benefits of being a subscriber to a magazine that actually shows up!), but I have been so busy (making bags mostly, but also going to the Lili of the Valley open day, spending time with the nieces and a road trip to Doncaster to see my friend) that I haven't had time to make anything from it yet, even though there is soooo much I want to make from this issue.

So, this issue comes with two freebies - a 2013 calender, with some pull out papers (and they are lovely) and a Christmas collection CD-Rom, which has backing papers, tags, border etc for all your Christmas makes.  I will certainly be utilising these when I next get round to making some more Christmas cards.

One of my favourite projects is The Spirit of Christmas which uses some gorgeous Wild Rose Studio stamps (I want them all) to make some amazing, modern yet traditional (strange, I know) Christmas cards.  There is even a step-by-step guide on how to make one of these cards.

Colour your Christmas is a brilliant feature - it has ideas for all your colour schemes this Christmas, be it the super trendy teal and blue, or the more traditional red and greed.  Some of the less traditional colour schemes, I think, can easily be adapted to birthday cards and other occasions, sometimes, just by changing the sentiment, especially for winter birthdays.

There are 3D folding techniques in Style That Stands Out, including a step-by step guide for one of the cards.  I love these cards and their 3D effect and (when I have some time), I would really like to try some of these.

The Masterclass has a never ending card, which seems to just keep unfolding to reveal a new image/theme.  I would love to try something like this, but I got confused just looking at the instructions.  I'm choosing to blame this on my blondeness and tiredness and I'm sure I will get my head around it eventually.

I love Christmas lights, in which Jane Gill makes votive holders from jars.  I am very tempted by this as I have loads of jars that I haven't decorated yet, it looks pretty easy and I think they would look great on the tables at my wedding . . . hmm . . . something to think about that one.

Other projects include:

  • How to use your free gifts, including a cute tree decoration;
  • 10 ideas for Christmas patchwork, including a bookmark, a box and some tags;
  • For subscribers only, there is a card made using Penny Black stamps;
  • 6 ways to use wool on your cards;
  • Bonus papers and ideas for how to use them;
  • a mini advent calendar house by Leoni Pujol;
  • another advent calendar in one of the Masterclasses;
  • ideas for santa suits;
  • Christmas decorations;
  • gift ideas for a domestic goddess;
  • modern Christmas cards in 10 minute makes;
  • Fizzy Moon decoupage cards in Quick Makes.
Giveaways this issues include:
  • a Penny Black stamp set (subscribers only)
  • a Strawberry Kisses CD-Rom (subscribers only)
  • a Letraset gift set, including ProMarkers, Metallic Markers, Christmas sets, rub down lettering and a storage tin
  • Baker Ross kids' goody sets
  • House Mouse project book
  • A Crafty Christmas CD-Rom
  • Trimcraft goody bag.
This really is a good issue and I would advise you to go out and buy it now.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget