Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Review: Crafts Beautiful - Issue 247 (November 2012)

Soooooo, the latest issue of Crafts Beautiful is now available in the shops.  This month's issue comes with a free quilling kit and ideas book.  Now, as you have probably all gathered, I can't quill, so my freebie is currently going to waste.  Maybe one day, if I ever have time to get bored, I may make another attempt at quilling . . .  There are also some free Scandinavian-style papers with this issue.

Anyway, on to the magazine . . .

This issue is a mixture of Christmas and non-Christmas projects, ranging from cards to knitting to enamelling, but shall we start with what you could win this issue:
  • PlatiKote bundle
  • voucher for www.craftshapes.co.uk
  • Dremel 7700 decorating kit
  • Planet Bake goody bag
  • The Contemporary Home bundle
  • The Great British Bakeoff's Showstopppers book (this is on my Christmas list)
  • carry all tote from Spoilt Rotten Beads
  • goodies from dotcom gift shop.
There is also once again a Hobbycraft money-off voucher.

There is something for pretty much everyone in this issue, but one of my favourite projects has to be 7 Ways With Festive Ribbons, with cute Christmas trees, candy canes and wreaths made from ribbons and attached to cards.  I wanted to try this one out to show you, but as is typical I don't seem to have any of the right types/colours of ribbon to make it work well.  

Same problem with another really good project - Party Season.  This is another card project using twine to make fireworks cards.  I have turned my craft room upside down, but I appear to have lost my twine *sad face*.

I also like the cute knitted toddler cardigan - with hood - to keep out those winter chills that are rapidly descending on us in Stitch in Time, along with the lovely button bag in Button Up!

Other projects in this issue include:
  • Cut out and keep, which has some cute Christmas cards featuring cheeky elves, reindeer and santas
  • Sticky Business, which has some good ideas for using decorative rollers, which seem to have become really popular just recently
  • Corinne Bradd's card school had some pocket cards
  • There are some slider cards in Glide Into Season
  • Vintage Boudoir has a stunning candle and matching card made using Spellbinders dies
  • There are some more traditional-style Christmas cards made using Woodware stamps in Silent Night.  I particularly like the Bethlehem card
  • Decoupage in Snow & Sparkle
  • Sewing Circle has a haberdashery-themed card.  The magazine states that this is a Christmas card, but it doesn't seem that Christmassy to me, and at first glance, I thought that it was a birthday card
  • Blending techniques on cards and diptychs in Mellow Moments
  • Paper Decs has some cool Christmas decorations that you could get the kids involved in.  I think I might have a go at some of these myself
  • Gift ideas in Bake to Give
  • Come Dine With Me sets your festive table using Posca pens
  • There is a gingerbread village in Sweet Treats
  • Scandi Style has some wooden Christmas decorations and a sweet card
  • Learn to enamel with Easy Peasy Enammelling
  • Make a cute rag doll with Stepping Out.  She even has a little shopping bag.  A project for me maybe? The templates are even included in the magazine for this one.  Maybe the publishers have paid attention to my moanings about having to download them all.
  • 30 Minute Napkin Decs shows you how to make some lovely Nordic Christmas decorations using napkins, including a candle holder and some cards
  • Homespun style cards and decorations are the order of the day in Feeling Folky
  • Hug a Mug has some mug cosies and cafetiere cosies.  I already have a knitted mug cosy, but might attempt these fabric ones, maybe in Christmas colours?
  • Staying with the fabric and sewing, Something Blue has some place mats
  • Go crackers and make your own with help from Table Manners
  • There are some lovely beaded bracelets in Shamballa Style, and a necklace in Nostalgic Sparkle.

Other articles in this issue include:
  • an interview with Kirstie Allsop and ideas from her new book, Kirstie's Vintage Home.
  • Joanne Sheen has some hints and tips on fragranced cards and lining envelopes in Crafty SOS
  • an interview with Willow Crossley and
  • Editorial Assistant, Holly has tried out screen printing.
This is a good issue and I would recommend buying it for all the different projects.  There are  a fair few I'm going to have to find time to get round to making anyway.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget