Wednesday, 10 October 2012

The Great Northern Papercraft Extravaganza

Soooo, at the weekend, me and my big sister toddled off to Harrogate to the Great Northern Papercraft Extravaganza at the Yorkshire Event Centre (Yorkshire Showground).  My grandmother-in-law-to-be got me some tickets through her craft club, and I thought it would be a good opportunity for a nosey at what's coming up for Christmas.

The event was organised by Craftwork Cards, and for my troubles of going to the show, I now have a 10% discount voucher for them, which I'm sure I could put to good use!  I also got a 10% voucher for Samuel Taylors as I made a purchase from their stall - some Spellbinders scalloped circle dies.

There were loads of stalls there - much more than I was expecting.  My sister was impressed too - she's the one that makes cakes, so isn't that into papercrafting, but she gets dragged along to these things with me so she can have a kid-free morning.  

I'd gone with a mission to purchase things for a recent wedding invitation order I had received, so I needed purple ink, a bluebell stamp and some lilac-ish card.

The purple ink was easy to find, and I combined it with my new obsession of Tim Holtz Distress Inks, and found a stall where they were on 4 for £12, which I thought was pretty bargainous.  I'm trying to build up my Distress Ink collection, so any advice on which colours are best to start off with will be gratefully received.  I asked the twittersphere, but no reply from anyone *sad face*.  I even tweeted Tim Holtz himself, but to no avail.  I think he might be going on my mean celebrity list.  Anyway, I don't need to start on that rant.  I already had brushed corduroy, after watching a tutorial by a Lili of the Valley designer, in which this shade was used.  So, my new purchases are:  Forest Moss (green), Broken China (blue), Tattered Rose (pink) and Dusty Concord (purple).  I can't remember the name of the stall, unfortunately.

I also managed to eventually find a bluebell stamp, although this did take some finding.  Bluebells are clearly no 'in vogue' at the moment - I could find tulips and daffodils, but very few bluebells.  I'm glad I found one though, as I had been struggling online, so the fair was my last chance really, otherwise I would have had to go back to my customer and tell her it couldn't be done.

I also visited the stall of my favourite shop - Lili of the Valley - and bought some (i.e. most) of the new mini masterpieces they have just released (and aren't even in the shop yet).  More will be explained about these in a future blog post (which I still need to write, but it is on the way).

Finally, my sister got some bargains.  At the last stall she bought some kits for the nieces to make Christmas cards (putting me out of business!).  She got 6 card making kits (30-odd cards in total), a pack of various papers and some glitter for me for £11.  Bargainous I think.  Definitely worth it to keep the girls quiet for a couple of afternoons in December.  We also have the youngest's birthday party coming up at the end of next month, and she has decided that she would like a 'craft party' (again more on these in a future blog post), so we thought these might be a good idea for that also.

Anyway, I'm glad I fought the migraine I had in the morning to go to the Extravaganza, even if it did mean that I had to let my sister drive my car.  Slightly concerned that she may now try to steal it, but never mine.  I got some bargains and saw loads of ideas and inspirations.  

I'll keep you posted on my makes from my purchases.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget