Saturday, 17 November 2012

The Little Mermaid

Soooooo, today I share with you a card made as an order from my sister for my youngest niece's birthday in a couple of weeks:


This card will be entered into the following challenges:

Sweet Sketch Wednesday - http://sweetsketchwednesday.blogspot.co.uk/
Cute Card Thursday - http://cutecardthursday.blogspot.co.uk/ - where the theme is Starry, Starry Night
The Pink Elephant - http://thepinkelephantchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-pink-elephant-challenge-tpe174.html - where the theme is Punches/Dies
Moving Along with the Times - http://movingalongwiththetimes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/seeing-stars-challenge.html - where the theme is Seeing Stars

To make this card, I have taken a few liberties with the sketch from Sweet Sketch Wednesday:


This basics are still there, but instead of a circular image, I have used square, and I have also made an easel card.  This is my first attempt an an easel card, and I don't think I have done too bad a job.

The image is one of the new mermaid stamps from Lili of the Valley, which I stamped in black Versafine ink and coloured with the following distress inks:
image/sketch

hair - mustard yellow and brushed corduroy
shells and seahorse - brushed corduroy and victorian velvet
mermaid tail - victorian velvet

I inked the edges of the image with broken china distress ink and also gave the image a halo with the same.  This is the first time I have added a halo to an image and I am quite impressed with the results.

inside of the card
After colouring the image, I lined the inside of the card with some pink stars paper from a Dovecraft paper pack.  I inked the edges of this with victorian velvet distress ink.

front of the card
I then started on the front of the card.  I folded the card in half to create the easel and using some pink stripey paper from a freebie paper pack that came with Cardmaking & Papercraft earlier in the year I lined the front.  I cut two strips of paper, each as wide as half the width of the card.  I cut them at different angles to get different effects and attached these to the card, having already inked the edges of half with victorian velvet distress ink.

I then started on the sketch.

Using some beach-themed papers from an even older issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft, I assembled the sketch without the background, making sure it was the correct size to fit onto the front of the card when not folded into the easel.  I used some stripey ribbon from my stash to wrap the sketch.  I then matted the whole thing to some white card to give it more strength and cut it out with a small border.

I then layered the image onto some stripey paper from the same paper pack I had used to assemble the sketch and cut it out with a wavy edge.  I attached this to the sketch.

I printed the sentient and die-cut this to a scalloped circle shape using my Spellbinders Nestabilities set.  I attached some pink starry paper to some white card, again to give it strength and die-cut a slightly larger scalloped circle (the next size up in my Nestabilities set).  I attached the sentiment to this and then attached this to the assembled sketch and attached the sketch to the front of the card. 

personalisation
I also printed the 'daughter' sentiment, cut into a rectangle and backed with some pink stars paper.  I added this to the sketch to finish it to match the one on Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

To finish the card, I took some more of the stripey paper I used as the image background and cut one side to be wavy.  I then added 'Evie' in sparkly pink letters and a pink heart brad.  I attached this to the inside of the card with sticky fixers, placed to ensure that the card stands up.

Finally, I added some star gems to around the 'Evie' panel.

I hope Evie likes the card - I certainly do and I enjoyed making it.  I will certainly be making some more easel cards.  I will probably also be using the same sketch again - this is the third one, and when I first saw the sketch I thought it would be impossible.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx








8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Hooly. This is stunning. I love your adorable image and fun easel card. I am really taken by this card. Beautiful work, Holly. Thanks for joining us.
    Nancy SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Just love what you have done with the sketch. Your niece is going to treasure this card. Happy to have you with us at SSW.
    Hugs, Heide SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Thanks so much for getting sketchy with us this week over at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.
    ~Jo, SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable!!! Love that you added her name, that makes it doubly special. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW - your card is stunning!! A gift in itself =) Love all the sparkle - so whimsical!! So glad you played along with us again at Sweet Sketch Wednesday!!
    Blessings to you Holly!!
    Sally SSW-DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful!
    Many thanks for joining in the
    ♥Cute Card Thursday Challenge♥
    this week! Debxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww this is So sweet Holly! what a cute image and your colouring is beautiful… love the pretty papers and embellishments! the easel design looks really fab!
    Thanks for joining us at MAWTT this week!
    Big Hugs
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabolous card Holly!!
    Thanks for joining CCt this week!
    Hugs heidy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget