Monday, 14 January 2013

Review: Crafts Beautiful - 250th Anniversary Issue (February 2013)

Sooooo, hopefully with this review I am once again up to date with my magazine reviews, but I am sure this one will be worth the wait.

So this issue comes with a free paper pack, which I have actually already put to use, and you can also download some free digistamps (not that I have figured out how to download these yet - it is not obvious on the Crafts Beautiful website, so I can't figure it out).

As always, the first project in the magazine is ideas on how to use the free papers, including a pillow box and cupcake cases.

I like the project in Card School, which uses background stamping techniques to great effect.

I also like the ideas in 7 Ways With Heart Motifs, particularly 'soft touch' and 'be mine', and Blooming Beauties, where the motifs can be downloaded from the Crafts Beautiful website.

Made to Cherish, a feature on scrapbooking, has been of particular interest to me, as I intend to try my hand at scrapbooking this year, in particular my wedding album when I get my photos.  There are lots of hints and tips in this article, all of which I will be paying close attention to.

For those just starting out in crafts and cardmaking, Birds of a Feather has some lovely, simple but effective designs featuring birds and blossoms.

I was also interested to read Fragrant Wonders, as this features a funky-looking candle, handmade paper and other projects using fresh lavender, which I love.  Strangely enough though, I generally don't like lavender scented sprays and the like.  I think this fits in with my love of chocolate but general dislike of anything chocolate flavoured - I swear they do not taste like chocolate, same as I swear lavender scented things do not smell like lavender.

I really like the decorated bird cage in Nostalgic Home, which is decorated using butterflies made from an old book and inked on the edges.  I would make this if I could bear to cut up an old book, but I'm not sure that I could.  There is also a decorated glass jar, which I think would look amazing with a tealight inside, and a heart plaque.  This project has inspired me for my friend, Mandy's, wedding in May, where the theme is butterflies.  These would also look good made from sheets of music too, as suggested in the magazine, and I think I would be more inclined to cut up sheets of music (photocopied of course) rather than a book.

I really like the designs in Tape It Up, which has some great beginners ideas for china painting.  The design used would be easily adopted.  This is also a craft I am considering trying out later this year - if I find time!

I am also like Chic Carrier - a little tote bag, which when flat looks like a little vest.  I may make up one of these from some Cath Kidston fabric I have lying around - when I find time that is!

Other projects and features in this issue include:
  • folksy-style cards made using punched shapes
  • cut out and keep has some ideas for using ribbon on your cards
  • love bugs has some funky valentine card ideas
  • Joanna Sheen has layered cards in nature's way
  • mapped out has some great card ideas utilising old maps to make houses, flowers and birds
  • say it with love has some 3-d valentines card ideas
  • quilling with claire has some thank you card ideas
  • sweet hearts has some more valentines ideas using heat embossing
  • stamp happy has more embossed cards
  • decoupage dream has some decopatched trays
  • hello petal has some cute fabric gift boxes and a thank you card, featuring sweet flowers
  • love folk has a painted plaque
  • cash in crafts has some business advice for all those thinking about turning their hobby into a job
  • bunny cuddles has a sweet bunny rabbit soft toy, perfect for the little ones in your life
  • also for the little ones in your life is a cardi and hat set in little lovely
  • snuggle down has a crochet and patch blanket
  • travel plans uses applique and embroidery to make document holders and cards
  • mixed bag has a cross-stitch and patchwork drawstring bag
  • in sweet success, Holly, the editorial assistant, learns to ice cakes
  • colour pop has some brightly coloured clay jewellery
  • silver sensation features some chain and mini bead jewellery - a necklace, bracelet and earrings
Giveaways this issue include:
  • Tombow Dual Brush Pen pack
  • Daylight Freedom Lamp
  • fabric bundle from Westfalenstoffe
  • bracelet kit from Spoilt Rotten Beads
  • Soap Kitchen workshop
  • Miranda Mulberry jewellery
  • Berisford goody bag, with ribbons and crafty chest
  • shopping spree at Creativity Crafts
This really does seem to have been a bumper issue, with plenty of inspiration and ideas.

The next issue is out on 1st February and comes with a free stamp set.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget