Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Review: Simply Homemade - Issue 25

Sooooo, today I (finally) bring you my review of the latest issue of Simply Homemade, which this month comes with a notions tin and decorative pins, together with downloadable papers. 

As usual, one of the first project features in this issue is how to use the freebie downloadable papers, including gift bags, cards and bottle boxes.

One of my favourite projects this issue is Light My Fire, which features candle making - different techniques and candles.  I used to make candles when I was a kid, and this project has re-ignited my interest in this, so keep your eyes peeled later in the year (when I have time and money) for more info and projects on this.  The feature in the magazine includes how to decorate ready made candles, how to make gel candles, was candles and floating candles.  I particularly like the gel candles.

I also really like Steampunk Owl, which features an owl necklace and matching earrings.  I know my friend, Debby, would love this, so it could be something I look into a bit more for her birthday later in the year.

I am very excited about the recipe for Sticky Toffee pudding - one of my favourite desserts (covered in custard of course) and I think I will be trying this out.  It actually doesn't look too difficult, and, touch wood, my baking projects usually go to plan (unless my cooking experiments).

I also like the knitted cushion covers.  These look simple enough to do, so these maybe a project for me to practice my knitting.  They don't even have zips, so no faffing there!  I do need some cushions for my living room, and keep promising the hubby that I will make some, and then just never do . . . hmmmmmmmmm . . .

Sorry, I've gone off on a tangent as usual haven't I?  Moving on . . . 

Cakes For Grown Ups is another project feature that has caught my eye.  These would make cute gifts for friends.  They are basically a flannel folded into a cupcake case and topped with a soap or tiny bath bomb.  I think wrapped beautifully in cellophane these would be a great seller at craft fairs.  I think a trip to Dunelm Mill might be in order to invest in some flannels. These could also make a great little valentines gift . . . hmmm . . . I think I will target the male folk around me . . . There are even instructions on how to make little soap toppers . . . I like this idea more and more every time I look at it.  

This project is followed by a little feature on soap making supplies.

Other projects and features this issue include:
  • cushions, embroidered pictures, cards and doorstops featuring fox motifs;
  • interview with botanist, James Wong
  • oriental-themed trinket boxes, calendars, cards, journals and storage jars
  • embroidered dog quilt - perfect for your dog for valentines day
  • pearl and crystal jewellery
  • crocheted hearts and envelopes
  • Chelsea buns recipe
  • crocheted granny blanket

Giveaways this issue include:
  • book, Handmade at Home Crocheted and Stitched Jewellery
  • Pony goody bags
  • Sew Easy goodies
  • Amercian Crafts paper pad
  • How To Sew box set
  • tickets to the MC Craft Event and Gateshead Stadium
  • Mr Site Classic Website in a Box
  • Gutermann glass bead box set
  • Teresa Collins Stampmaker kit - I want one of these
  • book, Cool Craft
  • book, 100 Pretty Little Projects
  • Natural Charms ribbon sets from Berisfords
  • Tando Creative goody bag
  • Paper Cellar goody bag

I'm already looking forward to next month's issue, which is out on 24th January and comes with fabric labels, a paper pack and a pattern sheet.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget