Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Review: Simply Homemade - Issue 26


Sooooo, sorry for the lateness of this one - it actually arrived in the shops on Thursday, but I have been a very busy bee these last few days and this is the first chance I have had to review it.  I think it will be worth the wait though.
First off - this month's freebies!  This issue comes with a haberdashery inspired paper pack, a design sheet and some fabric 'Handmade with Love' labels, which I think will come in very handy for the dress I am making for my friend (and have in fact been making since last Summer, but just haven't got round to finishing it yet - as I say, busy busy busy!).
Soooo, without further ado, let's move onto the review shall we?
First up in this issue (as usual) are the freebie projects.  This month shows you how to make a star album using the free papers.
I really like Vintage Chic - a 50s style felt bag.  I'm not a huge fan of felt (nor do I actually know how to knit, and therefore felt), but I think this could be made in other materials, so I might steal the idea and make a few Cath Kidston bags.  Hmmmmm, one to think about.  I just love the fifties styling of it.
Another project I really like is the recipe - not so much a huge fan of the Carrot & Coriander soup, due to my dislike of coriander, but I do like the look of the bread rolls, and I believe I have everything at home I need to make these, so they could be a weekend project for me.  Touch wood, I am planning nothing for the upcoming weekend, so I can get on with a few of the projects I have been wanting to try out.
I have been inspired by Lipstick on Your Collar - shrink plastic jewellery items.  These are in the shape of little Scotty dogs in the magazine, but I don't have that die, so will be using the dies I already have in my stash, so keep checking back on the blog for updates.  I'm thinking little gifts for mother's day.  Anyway, as usual I digress.  This project has bag charms, hairbands, bracelets, collars, necklaces, earrings and hat pins.
I also really like Beautiful Brooches, which has loads of different takes on brokers, including kilt pins, crystal and pearl bows, button brooches, crocheted brooches and fabric brooches.  I think these are something that I could get my nieces involved in making, as some of them don't look too difficult, but they are all really pretty.
One of the projects I really want to find time to do are the floor cushions, cubes and beanbags in Sitting Pretty.  These are very 70s retro style, but could be made in any style, and you never can have enough seating really I think.
Other features include:
  • needle felting
  • CD cases, wine boxes, mirrors, pictures, jewellery and lampshades in Steampunk style
  • an interview with Hobson's Choice founder, Sarah Hobson
  • deco patch jugs, frames, trinket boxes, tables and trays
  • a family of soft toy bunnies
  • decorated stacking boxes and drawers
  • a heart-shaped wall hanging, decorated with paper flowers

Giveaways this issue are:
  • Forever Friends Supercast Kits
  • Japanese Folded Bag Kits (I want one of these)
  • Hemline goody bags
  • book, Scandinavian Quilt Styles
  • House-shaped shelving
  • book, Quick and Easy Pillows and Cushions
  • book, Jessica's Raw Chocolate Recipes
  • Sew Mintage Miniature Chests
  • book, The Gentle Art of Stitching
  • Jewellery making sets
  • Spoilt Rotten Beads tote bags
  • Sew Heart Felt baby slippers (these are soooooo cute)
  • sewing essentials sets
  • jewellery making classes

There are some lovely ideas in this issue that I want to try my hand at.  Not sure I will find time before next month's issue though, which is out on 21st February.  This issue is out now, so go out and buy it.
Happy Crafting!
Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget