Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Sweet Sketch Wednesday: Birdie Brown


Birdie Brown

Sooooo, this week's sponsor over at Sweet Sketch Wednesday is Birdie Brown, and I just love the image I was given to use on this card - I think birds are going to be big again this year.  Please check out their website - they have some great freebies on offer too.



I really liked this week's sketch over at SSW, as it meant I got to use my new corner punch - a bargainous half-price find at Hobbycraft after Christmas - everything that can be is currently being corner-punched - keep checking back for more corner punches.

Anywho, this is the sketch on offer this week:



I think it looks a bit more complicated than some recent offerings, but I actually found it really easy to use, but then again, I find most of their sketches wonderful to use.

I must say, and I don't often say this about my cards, I do actually like this one.  I love the bright colours I used.  I was feeling a bit down in the dumps when I made it, so decided to use bright colours to see if they would cheer me up a bit.

I coloured the image using my (fairly new) water colour pencils.  Blue is my favourite colour, so there was no doubt that the birds would be that colour, and I mirror imaged them, as a mummy and baby bird should be I think.  I then chose the brightest colours in my set for the flowers, which were orange and yellow.

I followed these colours through to my backing papers, which are all from a freebie paper pack I got from an old issue of Cardmaking & Papercraft.  I think it was called 'Surf's Up!'.  Anyway, it has now nearly run out, so I need to see if I can get some more, either straight from whoever designed it, or trawling ebay.

I'm going off on a tangent again aren't I?  Many apologies  . . .

I didn't have any orange paper, so decided to pick out the greens of the stalks with some green paper from the same set.  If you look closely though, you will see that this paper does have orange and yellow on it, so I'm still sticking with the theme really.

To finish off, I used an orange foam flower from my stash and some blue gems, which I think I got from Home Bargains of all places - they are getting quite a good craft section.  Maybe they can take over from Wilkinsons, whose craft section has been going downhill a bit of late I'm afraid.

Anyway, I don't know what I am doing with this card yet - I may sell it.  I've got a few I need to take down to my stepmother (non-wicked) to go through as she sells some at her work for me, and my brother in law has offered to put some in the shop he works at too, so I may take him up on that offer.

In the meantime . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

7 comments:

  1. This really is a cute image. I love your choice of papers and fun spring colors. I wish it was spring.. Have a great week, Holly!!
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dreams of Spring and warm weather with flowers blooming...
    What a cute card, great papers too! That yellow flower is pretty. Have a super week.
    Hugs, Heide

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that you are a bit down in the dumps; as my mother used to say "buck up little chineroo" It always made us laugh, hope it does you too. Your card is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Blue Birds Holly!! Really Sweet card!! Awesome papers and I love your coloring with watercolor pencils.
    Wishing you a Blessed and Cheery rest of the week!!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. An absolutely adorable card Holly! I was just like you, intimidated at first with this sketch then found it came together with ease. Have a great weekend.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such sweet little birdies and I do like the bright and happy colors you used! Great job!

    Peace & Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Holly and welcome to Sweet Sketch Wednesday I do hope your enjoying working with the team as we've been together so some time now.
    Very cute card this week, cute image and pretty colours. I started out with water colours as well and totally loved working with them before I bought my copics now I use mixed medium.
    Take care and have a lovely week.
    Hugs
    Kathie
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget