Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Sew Savvy


Soooo, every now and again a magazine comes along that just inspires me and I want to make pretty much everything in it.  One of those popped up recently in the form of last month’s Sew magazine, and I have been busy making things from it ever since.
First up is this travel roll, in this amazing moustache fabric: 

I stuck very true to the magazine on this one, as I even used the same fabric as was used in the magazine as I thought it was simply amazing.  This is available to buy now in my Folksy shop.  It has six pockets to keep all your toiletries in and is tied with a grosgrain ribbon.

I also adapted slightly by using a different fabric – this Cath Kidston cowboy fabric:


This is also available in my Folksy shop.

The travel roll doesn’t yet have a name, so, the first person to buy one will have one of my products named after them and be immortalised forever.
I then took this design a step further and created the ‘Tootsie Roll’:

This is the same basic design, but has fewer pockets, each of which is filled with a foot product – foot soak, foot scrub, foot balm and a foot file/pumice stone.  It is so called as when I was a wee one, feet were known as tootsies.  I’m hoping these will prove to be a good seller for Mother’s Day.

My only problem is that I keep wasting fabric, as I keep cutting the pocket section the wrong way round, but I am thinking I might just make some the other way round . . .
Anyway, moving on, from the same article in the magazine comes this wash bag.  I didn’t have enough fabric to make one in the moustache material (but I do have an order for one and hopefully my extra moustache fabric will be arriving soon), so I made it in the cowboy fabric:

This is also a bit smaller than the one in the magazine, as I just didn’t have enough fabric.
My first order for one of these has come from my Auntie Jacky for her husband, Keith, so it will be known as the ‘Keith’.  It is available in my Folksy shop now in the cowboy fabric.
I also made a couple of these in oilcloth.  These are known as the ‘Jacky; as my Auntie Jacky was the first person to order one.  This is hers:

This is full size as per the template in the magazine.
This one has already been claimed, and I don’t have any more made up at the moment.  This means that unfortunately, there are none in my Folksy shop, but if you would like to order one, please email me fairy[dash]elephants[at]Hotmail[dot]co[dot]uk
And this is a smaller version I made – the same size as the Keith cowboy fabric one:

This is available in my Folksy shop.  This is the last one I will be able to make in this fabric, as I bought the shop out of everything they had of this one. I also made a handbag and a lunch bag from this fabric, both of which are available in my Folksy shop.
Finally, I spent the best part of last Saturday making these cute clutch bags:

They are yet to be named – I’m waiting for someone to buy one, but they have only been made two days at the time of writing this post.  They are in my Folksy shop here.

I used two different Cath Kidston fabrics for the outers and some coordinating fabrics from my stash for the linings.  I also used various ribbons and buttons from my stash, so each is unique.

These are only tiny – measuring approximately  14 x 10cm when closed, but I did find that they are big enough for your phone, money, ID and keys, or make a brilliant glasses case.  I’m hoping that these will also prove popular for Mother’s day.

At the time of writing this post, I haven’t yet got the next issue of Sew magazine (it will be my first subscription issue), but I am very much looking forward to it and hoping that it is as inspiring as the last.
In the meantime . . .
Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget