Friday, 28 June 2013

Joseph

Soooo, this is something I actually made ages ago, but never quite got around to blogging about.  In fact, now that I think about it, I actually made this back in February!!

This is a Christening gift I made for my oldest friend in the whole world's son.



I think, now that he is nearly a year old I have finally got over the fact that Kirsty has a baby.  I was very scared for a long time as it meant that maybe if my friends were starting to have children, it might mean that we had to grow up a bit.  A year on, and I've realised we don't have to grow up at all.  In fact, and I should have realised this from my nieces, it just means that we get to regress a little, as you can't be a grown up and take life seriously when you have a child to entertain.  As I've said, I think that maybe I should have realised this when my nieces were born, but my sister is older than me and it is scarier when it is someone your own age.

Anyway, as usual I have gone off point.

I found in a little independent shop a 'On Your Christening Day' sparkly heart-shaped hanging plaque, which in the shop looked silver.  However, when I got it home, I realised that it was in actual fact, pink!  That would be no good for Joseph, who is already a definite boy's boy. 

So, not wanting to look a complete fool and take it back to swap for a correctly coloured one, I decided I would examine it and see if I could make one myself, which I decided I could.

So, off I toddled to Hobbycraft to get some Fimo.  As always with me, I didn't get what I intended to.  Instead I got some Premo, because it was pre-sparkled, so I wouldn't have to get glitter everywhere (just for a change).  It seems to be pretty much the same thing, just sparklier, and a bit cheaper. 

I had intended to just make the one little heart and write 'On Your Christening Day' on it, as per the one I had bought.  But, me being me, I got a little carried away and made loads of hearts - enough for one for each letter of his name and one to say 'Christening' on it.

To decorate, I did consider handwriting the letters and message, but I always worry that my handwriting is a bit messy.  In fact, when I was a child, my mother declared that my handwriting was so messy I should be a doctor, because you can never read their handwriting either.  That didn't work out, and my handwriting did improve, but I still worry that it is illegible.

Anyway, to avoid this pitfall, I decided to see if the letters and sentiment could be stamped on, which I happy discovered they could, so I stamped each letter and a christening sentiment using broken china distress ink and some normal clear stamps.  I think I would have preferred the letters to be a bit darker, but that was the only blue ink I had at the time (and still do have for that matter - I must sort this out).

I then put a hole in the top of each and put them in the oven to bake.  Due to my dodgy oven, this took a bit longer than the instructions, but we got there in the end.

I then strung each heart onto its own little ribbon and then attached these to a longer, thicker ribbon so that it could be hung up.

I am going to make another of these and get some better pictures so that I can put them in my Etsy shop, as I am aware that this photo is a bit rubbish, so keep your eyes peeled for them.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget