Thursday, 13 June 2013

Liquorice Allsorts

Soooo,  I have been very very busy making this amazing dress for my friend, Carly:



She is going to a Grease-themed hen night next month and wanted a 50's style dress, so I made one for her.  

We found this fabric and just had to use it.  You can't see too well on the picture above, but the fabric is amazing.  Here is a close up:


The pattern I used was the Bette dress, a freebie downloaded from the Sew website, which can be found here, although I'm not too sure if the older patterns get knocked off as new ones are put on, so as this is from last year, it might be worth downloading now.

The bodice is self-lined and has a scooping neck line.



There is an invisible zip in the back, although the patter only calls for a standard zip:


I was very impressed with myself as I actually got the invisible zip right on  this dress, as the photo above shows.

The skirt on this one is huuuuuuuge, created by lots of gathering, and therefore folds in the dress, which will all puff out when a petticoat is put underneath.  You can just about see the folds in the skirt in the picture below.



The patter actually calls for an inbuilt petticoat, but I prefer the idea of a separate one as I think it gives you more options.  You can use the petticoat for other outfits, and if it starts to annoy you (they can be scratch and knock things off tables as you walk past), you can choose to go sans petticoat and have a more relaxed looking dress.

Anyway, as the dress really needed a petticoat, I made my friend one of those too:



I made the petticoat using the same instructions as the one I made in Dreamboats and Petticoats.

I really love this, as has everyone whose seen it I think.  I think it is the fabric and I had been coveting the fabric for myself for a while.  I am happy to discover that they do a hot pink version, so I might have to go buy some of that for myself a dress as I was pretty gutted when my friend chose the black version, meaning I couldn't then make anything for myself from it.

Anyway, time for tea now . . . Hopefully I'll have something else to share with you soon.

Happy Crafting!

Holly 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget