Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft - Issue 120 (August)

Soooooo, this has probably already been out a few days (I can't remember which day it hit the shops this month), but I have been a very busy bee (working, orders, sitting in sun etc.) that I just simply have not had time to get around to writing about it.  So, sorry that this is late, but better late than never eh?

Anyway, this month's issue comes with some pretty papers and coordinating toppers as the freebies.  I love the papers, but I'm not too sure about that toppers, but that is just because they are not really my style.  I'm sure other people will love them.  As always, one of the first projects in the magazine is some ideas on how to use your freebie.  This month, they seem to be all cards.  I'm sure they could be used for things like gift boxes and bags though.  the papers would also make for some very pretty pinwheels too.

I love the designs in Riviera Style.  They are what I would describe as 'grown up cards' made with some very elegant Penny Black stamps - I now want them all.  How I wish a magic fairy would just give me an unlimited budget for crafting stash - I would never ever be bored.  Mind you, saying that, I have stuff at home that I have had since March that I have not got around to using yet.  I plan every week that this will be the weekend that I will finally get around to doing it, but then something comes up, or the sun shines (and you never know in the UK how long that is going to last so we have to make the most of it), or a million other things prevent me from making it to the craft room.  I think I have even forgotten how to use it now, but never mind.  One day I will get around to it and blog all about it.

Anyway, as usual, I have deviated from the matter in hand - the elegant Penny Black cards.  The papers and embellishments just add to the elegance of these cards.  There are also a few techniques to use, such as masking, colouring, inking and silhouette stamping.

I adore Sharon Armstrongs daschund card and may have to make this for my Auntie Jacky, who has a little wire-haired daschund called Madge.  She is the cutest thing.  Anyway, I'm interested in these because not only do I have a recipient in mind, but they are made using fabric scraps, so are a great way to use up my stash of fabric scraps.  I usually keep these for my youngest niece to make 'pictures' from, but if I can, I might as well use them myself.  There are also instructions and templates for a matching gift tag.

The card in the subscribers only section is soooooo sweet.  I love the Penny Black fairy stamp which ist is made with and I may have to add this to my wishlist (along with everything else).  The bright reds and other colours used would also lend this to being a pretty Christmas Card (please, shoot me now, thinking about Christmas so early!).

Quick makes for August has some LOTV blue and white creations, vintagey looking cards and a fair few butterflies.

The Masterclass this month has some gorgeous paper floral decorations, ideal for weddings, but also useful for other events and occasions.  My favourite is the large kissing ball, and had I been getting married in the summer, I would have made these.

Other projects this issue include:
  • 10 ideas with baker's twine
  • 3 ideas with Pebeo
  • five cards for under a fiver have blooms of joy this month
  • crafting with kids has some ideas to keep them entertained during the upcoming holidays, including pinwheels, a pencil pot and a secret diary
  • Paula Holifield shows you how to make your own washi tape
  • Leonie Pujol has ideas for using the Inkadinkado Stamping Gear system
  • 6 ideas with background stamps
  • how to make your own glimmer mists
  • crafter's guide shows you how to use the Gelli Arts gel printing plate
  • upcycle with lollipop sticks
  • 10 minute makes has a nautical feel

Giveaways this issue include:
  • tickets to the Stitch, Sew and Hobbycraft show
  • Spellbinders die sets
  • Bramley Hedge goodies
  • tickets to the Crafts for Christmas and Hobbycrafts shows
  • Tilda goody pack (subscribers only)
Sorry this hasn't been as comprehensive as I would like - I've had to rush as I am writing this in my lunchbreak and unfortunately ended up with only half a lunch break as work is that busy.

Anyway, the next issue is out on 8th August and comes with a free vintage stamp set with some ready-stamped greetings and verses.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget