Friday, 9 August 2013

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft

Sooooo, Saturday just gone, as I had got up late and missed what I was supposed to be doing, I decided to have a nothing day (and I was ready for such a day), and what better way to spend a nothing day than reading through one of your favourite magazines?  So, how glad was I when my subscription copy of Cardmaking & Papercraft dropped through the letterbox (along with some stamps I had ordered from Lili of the Valley only the day before - thanks for the uber fast service guys).  Anyway, this is one of my favourite things about being a subscriber - my copy usually always arrives on a Saturday morning, and then that is me set for the rest of that day.  

So, I picked it up from off the door mat and then had a quick sit down on the sofa and a flick through the magazine, noting the uber fabulous stamp and sentiments set that can free.  I love the vintage-style stamps and I am very excited that I now have a 'happy anniversary' stamp, which has so far been elusive from my vast, ever growing stamp collection.  

After making a quick note of what was in this month's magazine, I went off to do some baking and I just felt like making something I could eat.  Maybe I am getting ready for the next series of Great British Bake Off to start?  I can't wait!!!

Anyway, once baking was over, I decided to have a nice leisurely afternoon catching up on some telly, as I'd barely watched any all week, and reading through my magazine.  

As always, one of the first projects in the magazine is ideas for using your freebies, and this issue includes a pretty vintage notebook, a card and a beautiful matching gift box.

The next project is Floral Splendour, with some gorgeous creations by one of my faves, Dawn Philips.  Her creations in this month's issue are autumnal floral prettiness it all it's glory.  Autumn is one of my favourite times of year.   I love going for walks in the crisp air kicking the golden leaves about (yes, I am still a giant child), and these cards really catch the golds, oranges and greens of autumn with loads of prettiness.  

These gorgeous colours are used later on in the magazine too.  10 minute makes has autumn-themed cards featuring autumn leaves and matching buttons and using embossing to great effect.

10 Ideas With Flowers has some gorgeous vintage-style pretty cards using kraft and subdued colours.  My favourites though have to be the two featuring the most gorgeous shoes, designed to look like flowers.  I might just have to treat myself to these stamps when I have some spare pennies.  They will make the perfect girly cards.

National Cardmaker of the Year is also launched this issue, and the categories are:
  • Docrafts
  • Hunkydory Crafts
  • Paper Cellar
  • Sissix
  • Wild Rose Studio
  • Craftime
  • Katy Sue Designs
  • Tonic Studios
  • Starform
  • Joanna Sheen
  • Crafter's Companion
  • DCWV
  • Stampin' Up
  • Woodware
Last year, I didn't have the confidence in my cardmaking to enter.  This year, I think I have the confidence, but I'm not so sure I have the time.  I do have until 20th September, so I am going to have to make time I think, as there are three or four categories I can enter with the things I have in my stash.  I keep telling hubby that he needs to earn loads more pennies so I can give up work and find time to do these things, but he is simply not listening to me.  never mind, I didn't marry him for his money, so I will just have to carry on working.

There are some gorgeous cards in Quick Makes.  This month they are designed by Nikki Bowman, using Akkison Kreft papers, Katie Skilton, using Stampin' Up!'s Perfect Punches and Paula Hollifield, using the cutest Penny Black stamps and Paper Cellar papers.  All the cards in this feature have a freshness about them that I love and I may have to just recreate some, with a Fairy Elephants twist of course.


Other projects and features this issue include:
  • banner card made from Sissix die and stamp set (subscribers only)
  • an autumnal wreath
  • neverending card masterclass
  • five cards for under a fiver features dainty roses
  • stamp and stitch travel and photography-themed cards
  • Leoni Pujol has ideas on how to incorporate was paper into your card making
  • paper brooch


Giveaways this issue include:
  • £1000 if Hunkydory goodies
  • Lucy Cromwell goody packs (subscribers only)
  • book, Fold, Cut and Curl
  • Papermania Tilly Daydream goody bags
  • Stampin' Up! This and That collection goodies
  • Mt Craft Studio  Pastel Prelude CD-Rom
  • Woodware fabric, card and tape
This really is a great magazine this month.  The next issue is out on 5th September and comes with some vintage Christmas stamps (it is clearly nearly upon us).  Now, I have children's films to watch (Pirates In An Adventure With Scientists Anyone) and my roast potatoes to eat . . . 

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget