Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Review: Homemaker Issue 9

Soooo, gosh, we are on to issue 9 already.  It seems that these issues are just flying by doesn't it?  Although the wait in between each issue always seems far too long!

Issue 9 comes with Print & Pattern Portfolio No.5, which seem to be a regular thing with Homemaker.  This Portfolio comes with wallpaper and fabric designs, and a money off voucher for Habitat.  It also has a few projects within its pages, including:
  • shadow tree picture
  • tea cosy
  • almond and raspberry tart recipe
  • folk-style doll
  • papercut decor
  • rose and tulip pot holders
It also contains all of the templates you need to make the projects both from the Portfolio and the magazine proper.

Moving on to the magazine proper, one of the first projects in the magazine is loads of decorations for your birthday party, including mini bunting, party invites, favour boxes and a scrummy looking birthday cake.  However, my favourite from this has to be the glittery vases, which look really effective and quite simple to make.  These have given me an idea for presents.

I loved reading the article on sea glass and how pretty it is and, surprisingly, how collectable.  I am now planning a trip to the sea side at the weekend and shall be hunting for sea glass on the beach.  I just can't decide whether to go to Whitby (which I love) or Flamborough (which is nearer and site of many family holidays when I was a kid).

I was really interested in the Weave A Rush Seat project.  I would love to have a go at this.  I know it is not something I will get around to any time soon, and maybe something I have to put to one side until I magic some more non-working days into my week, but I would really like to have a go at this traditional craft.  It doesn't look overly difficult and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow.  Maybe it is something I could do when I buy my own house and create a proper dining room.  In fact, now my brain is going off on a tangent and I am imagining a conservatory dining room in a rustic style with a proper (very large) farm house kitchen table.  I should maybe stop my imaginings now and get on with this review shouldn't I?

I'm unsure whether I love Corinne Bradd's Country Hare Cushion or whether it slightly scares me.  It is beautiful and very clever.  Maybe a smaller button for the eye would be better?  All that aside, it would go beautifully in my living room, as I have a black sofa with silvery bits in the cushions. 

I plead to the very scrummy Eric Lanlard to make something not using dark chocolate.  His recipes all look gorgeous, including the chocolate and pistachio biscotti in this issue, but I can't eat dark chocolate.  Maybe I could substitute for white chocolate in this recipe, or maybe I should just risk the migraine . . . 

By the way, he also has some great tips for the perfect picnic.

Not to worry on the recipe front though, John Waite (from The Great British Bake Off) has a lavender and raspberry victoria sponge which looks amazing, Miche Bacher has a Flowerfetti cake, which looks interesting and Jane Green has a warm chocolate and banana cake, which requires plain chocolate, but I may just substitute that for milk chocolate.

Other projects and features this issue include:
  • Wayne Hemmingway talks town councils
  • transform a farm table from rustic to chic with a dip-dye look
  • interview with Habitat senior designer, Rebecca Hoyes
  • 4 ways with vintage mags, including a bed side table and desk tidy
  • interview with printmaker, Emma Hardicker
  • Linda Barker has hints and tips on tiling
  • Helen Mulley explains why she thinks Autumn is the best time to be a homemaker (and I am inclined to agree).  I have been loving the sunshine we have had this year, but I am looking forward to Autumn.
  • make a modern roman blind
  • easy flower crochet cushion cover
  • interview with designer and author Caroline Zoob
  • embroidered director's chair
  • feature on MissPrint and how it all began
  • DIY clipboards
  • oven glove and napkin from pretty floral fabric
  • strawberry jam by Kilner
  • upholstery explained transforms a coffee table into a seat
  • hand ties bouquets made easy
  • Alex Polizzi tells why she loves playing with her house.
The next issue is out on 30th August.

Until then . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget