Friday, 18 October 2013

Cotton

Soooo, today I would like to share with you my attempt at needle felting (I tell you now, it did not go well).

Meet Cotton The Guard Sheep (named by my hubby after I vetoed 'Shaun' for being common), who currently guards our front door:

Cotton the Sheep when first made - he was too drunk to stand

Cotton was made using the needle felting kit that came with Crafty Creatives Box 15, which contained black wool, white wool, a felting needle and a felting block.  The block is apparently to stop you stabbing yourself with the needle.  I can tell you from experience that it is not a very effective block.

Anyway, I followed the instructions that came with the kit when I was bored one Sunday night.  Basically, you have to roughly shape your wool and then stab it repeatedly with the needle.  You so the same for each separate piece (i.e. body, head, legs) and then to attach the pieces together, you stab the pieces where you would like them to join.

I hope that cotton is a recognisable sheep, but after many stabbings of my fingers (despite the block), I think I got bored of all the stabbing, so my wool  was not felted enough, resulting in a slightly drunk sheep. Apparently, it could be much better and the only advice I have had is to keep stabbing the wool.  

I have therefore concluded that I don't think needle felting is for me for two main reasons:

1.  It is a dangerous hobby for someone as clumsy as me.  I stabbed myself far too many times for my liking and my fingers just wouldn't be able to cope with it. 

2.  I would get bored.  I simply do not have the patience to keep stabbing the wool to felt it correctly.  

Cotton the Sheep once he had sobered up a bit and could stand
I still have some wool left, and I'm not trying to figure out what to do with it.   I may just give the kit to someless less clumsy than me, who might like to try needle felting.

I love that I got the kit, as it was something different for me to do, and this is the reason I get the Crafty Creatives boxes.  I'm looking forward to the next one, although I still have my kits from Box 14 - a dreamcatcher and rope basket.  Maybe I'll get round to making them one day.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget