Friday, 8 November 2013

Bow Ties Are Cool

Soooo, this is a project I have wanted to try ever since I saw the tutorial in Issue 48 of Sew magazine, and I already had a recipient in mind - my friend's little boy, Bertie (not his real name, but it has stuck).  I also had the perfect fabric - the liquorice allsorts fabric I had used to make a dress for my friend.

I think I could have been drawn to this project as I am a huge Doctor Who fan and adore Matt Smith, so of course I think that 'bow ties are cool'.  I have also been looking for new lines to introduce that are not too time-consuming, but could sell well.

Anyway, this liquorice allsorts one was my first attempt:



I am very proud of it for a first attempt.  It was a quick make after finishing a petticoat to go to America, and I had the sewing machine still out.  Needless to say, the sewing machine stayed out and I made some more:



The black and white ones are made from the fabric fat quarter I got in Box 15 from Crafty Creatives.  The rest are made from scraps I couldn't bear to throw out, and now I'm glad I didn't.

I'm going to bob these in my Etsy shop.  They will be available for both men and boys, and as I discovered whilst messing about trying one on, they also make great hairbands, as they are on elastic, so perfect for girls (and women) too.  I think I will be making a few in more girly colours (not that that would stop my hubby from wearing one as a bow tie, or most of the men in my life in fact).  I have also attached some to barrettes to make some hair slides.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget