Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Review: Cardmaking & Papercraft - Issue 124 (Christmas)

Sooo, I was excited to receive my copy of Cardmaking & Papercraft this month, I think mostly because I wasn't expecting it to arrive the day after I got back off holiday.  I had that day off work to get all my washing and things done, by which I mean I did very little washing and got caught up on Strictly and Bake Off instead, so I even got chance to sit down and read the mag in peace and quiet.

This month's issue is the Christmas issue and comes with a decoupage tree decoration set, which I may or may not get made up at the weekend (I am writing this on Friday).  I hope I do as they fit in with my Christmas theme of reds very well.  There is more than enough paper to do more than the two woden shapes which come with the kit, so I may get my friend's husband (who does some laser cutting) to cut me some more shapes.  The kit also has some flat-backed gems and coordinating ribbon. 

As always, the first project in the magazine is some ideas on how to use your freebie, which this month includes the (inevitable) tree decoration, a tag and even a card made using the papers.

Vintage Christmas uses Joanna Sheen stamps and digi papers to make some festive cards.  I must say, that I am not too keen on the cards themselves, but I have downloaded the digi papers used, which to my delight I found were actually on sale, which makes them even better.  I'm sure I can get creating with them very soon (I hope).

I think my favourite card in the magazine is actually the subscribers only card by Bev Rochester, which is very elegant using kraft, white and red.  In fact, I like it that much that I even ordered the Penny Black Snowlight stamp which is used to make it.  This arrived yesterday (brilliant service from The Glitter Pot) and I (fingers crossed) will be recreating the card (or something similar) at the weekend.

Santa's Coming has some gorgeous vintage Christmas cards, perfect for blokes and the ladies alike.  I don't think that some of them are very Christmassy (hot air balloons and trucks), but I like them all the same.  They are coloured with distress markers and are making me want to try these out - I am usually a promarkers girl, occasionally using distress inks, but I like the effect the professionals get with the distress markers.

As a monochrome fan, I adore the makes in 10-minute makes - all just black and white, but still pretty and girly.   I might have a go at some of these, or my own versions anyway.

Other projects this issue include:
  • 10 ideas for Christmas decorations
  • decorative cake frill
  • plum pudding rosette
  • mince pie flag
  • Crafter's guide to the Xcut Xpress, which the crafting world seems to be getting very excited about
  • Leoni Pujol has some die-cut Christmas decorations
  • Quick Makes has some cute and traditional-retro Christmas cards
  • quilled Christmas decorations
  • fairy light garland
  • five cards under a fiver has Simple Style  using an Echo Park digi kit
  • upcycle Christmas baubles
It is a bumper giveaway this issue, with prozes including:
  • Penny Black stamps (subscribers only)
  • Baker Ross goody bags
  • DCWV paper stacks and frames
  • CMPC bundle
  • Docrafts King With Jewel goody bags
  • Stampin' Up! goodies
  • American Crafts goody bag
  • Die'sire dies and embossing folders from Crafter's Companion
  • Joanna Sheen goodies
  • Hunkydory Goody bags
  • Bronnley luxury smellies goodies
  • Wild Rose Studios stamp sets
  • Serif CD-Roms
  • Trimcraft paper stacks
  • Starform goody bags
  • Fancy Pants goodies
  • Search Press craft books
  • goody bag from One Stop Craft Shop
  • Katy Sue Designs flower soft sets
  • Cuddly Buddly goodies
  • Cricut Mini and cartridges
  • Woodware goodies
The next issue is out on 28th November and comes with a cute Christmas charm set, which I can't wait to get my hands on, as I have ideas already.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget