Soooo, I hope you all had a good Christmas. Just a quick post tonight to share with you the pyjamas I made for my nieces for Christmas. These were really a labour of love and required me to use/learn a few new skills.
To make these, I used some fabric I got from Etsy, so it came all the way from the US and I used Simplicity 3669.
The pyjama bottoms were easy, as I have made these before, it was the tops that proved challenging for me.
I had never made anything resembling a shirt-top-thing before, so it was a new thing for me. The skill set was also new to me. I had never before made long sleeves, a collar or button holes. I think I handled these well though.
I was very impressed with myself when I made my first practice button hole, which I did on a piece of scrap fabric. I will admit, I did have to YouTube how to use my button-hole maker though.
I finished the button fastenings by using contrasting colour buttons, so red buttons on the green pyjamas and green buttons on the red pyjamas.
When it came to the sleeves, my main problem was that once sewn together, they were too small to fit around the arm of my sewing machine, so it was faffier than I would have liked to hem the cuffs, insert into the shoulders and finish the seams. I also had to gather the sleeves before inserting into the shoulders, and although this worked fine on the red pyjamas, I struggled a bit with the green pyjamas, which surprised me as these were the second set I made and they were bigger, so slightly less faffy.
The collars presented my main problem as I couldn't follow the instructions very well - they just didn't make sense at all. I finally figured out some of them, and then did the rest Holly-style, and they seemed to have worked OK. They are attached neatly and look like collars anyway.
Overall, I am very impressed with the finished product, if I do say so myself, and I have even bought the smaller pattern size so that I can make some for my friends' kids.