Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Tunisian Delight

Soooo, today I would like to share a dress I made using some of the gorgeous embroidered fabric I brought back from my holidays in Tunisia.  How beautiful is the fabric?!


I decided that this fabric would be perfect to make the simple wiggle dress from a recent issue of Sew Magazine, as such a gorgeous fabric needed only a simple shape to show it off, rather than a ussy shape with lots of extras, and here is the result of my endeavours:



Please excuse the fact that when I took the photo the dress wtill needed a final press.

Anyway, as I have already said, the dress was a simple shape and pretty simple to make - it only took me a week of evenings to make the dress and then I didn't do much each evening.  I think the hardest part was crawling around on the floor cutting the fabric out - I really need a cutting desk.

I decided to like the dress with some silver satin, but with hindsight I now think that gold would have been better, as the silver is just too pale.  I still like it though.


As the fabric was so itchy (which I found out when I tried it on for fitting), I decided to enclose the zip to minimise all itchiness by not letting the dress fabric touch my skin.  This is the first time I have attempted to enclose a zip, and do you know what, I am very proud of the result and myself.

I decided I would maybe like to try an exposed zip rather than an invisible zip and started the hunt for a gold zip, but was unable to find one.  I don't think that the effect is too bad really, as it still matches the dress and matches the lining.

Possibly the hardest part of this dress was the collar.  I used an embroidered piece for this and I think the effect is really good.  I think it was only difficult as the fabric was quite thick and it needed hand sewing, and I hate hand sewing at the best of times.

Anyway, other than a couple of small alterations, the dress fits perfectly.  I even got my husband to buy me some new sparkly gold shoes (with six inch heels!) to go with it.

Right, I am off to finish eating my lunch now.  I'm currently on with another sewing project which I will share with you soon, along with loads of cooking I have been doing.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget