Friday, 14 February 2014

Review: Sew Magazine - Issue 57 (May 2014)

Soooo, I believe that this hits the shops today, and I am glad because it has felt like a long time since I had a magazine to read.  I'm sure it has only been a week or so, but it feels much much longer.  

Anyway, this issue comes with a free Simplicity woodland creatures pattern to make five little woodland creature soft toys - an owl, a bunny, a raccoon, a reindeer and a fox.  I'm tempted to try some of these out with Georgia, the eldest niece, next time I have her for the afternoon.  I'm sure we are well overdue some crafting time together.  Anyway, the patterns make use of embroidery, applique and basic sewing techniques, so I think they would be good for teaching her.  As usual, the first project feature in the magazine is all about the free pattern.

There is also, if you are quick, a free Great British Sewing Bee pencil skirt pattern to download from the Sew website, with of course, full instructions in the magazine.  I have this pattern, and although I haven't made anything with it yet, it looks a good beginner's pattern, and once I get the right fabric, I will be making something with it.

I love love love the girls' t-shirt dress, which features a cute wrap skirt and even a little coordinating brooch.  I need to get myself to the shops and buy some t-shirts and some metre lengths of various pretty fabrics and make some of these, starting with one for the youngest niece, Evie.  I think Georgia is too big now for dresses like this, and far too much of a fashionista.  She is going to be a nightmare when she is a teenager!!  If Evie's goes well, I might even make some to sell at the next craft fair (or maybe the one after).

Other projects and features include:

  • Dressmaking SOS! has advice on hems, including blind stitch on your machine, but I still feel confused about this
  • Advice on buying dressforms (I love mine and would advise anyone to get one if you can afford it)
  • How to make a printed geometric print t-shirt
  • Retro apron
  • Embellished pumps
  • Shoe bag and matching card
  • Fabric bouquet
  • Printed vine leaf placemat
  • Coffee pot quilting block
  • Funky lampshade
  • Wash bag  and hanging bathroom storage bag
  • Cat basket
  • Tea and mug cosies featuring your child's drawings
  • Teatime cushions
  • Cat stuffed toy

Giveaways this issue include:

  • dress form
  • tickets to craft exhibition in Liverpool
  • machine bags
  • fabric design starter kits
  • teepee

Apologies for the shortish post today.  I could write so much more about some of the projects but my hands are aching from way too much typing (and not enough crafting) this week, so I'm trying to type as little as possible.  Only today to go until I can immerse myself in crafting for two days.

The next issue is out on 14th March and comes with a free New Look dress pattern.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget