Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Oh Pants! It's A Lemon Disaster Cake

Soooo . . . it's safe to say that I am certainly no domestic goddess.  In fact, at the rate I am going I might possibly manage to become one in about in a hundred years if I'm lucky.

I had all good intentions this weekend - I was going to be domestic goddess extraordinaire - I was going to bake, sew, clean and tidy etc. etc.  I also had some card designing to do for Sweet Sketch Wednesday and a couple of orders to fulfil.  As you can probably guess, this didn't happen.

It all started Saturday morning when I had to get up, which I really didn't want to do, but I have this annoying habit of rarely sleeping past eight hours, and once I am awake I have an inability to stay in bed and just laze - I have to be up and doing.  So, I decided to get up and bake the cake I had promised my friend, Jo, would be there when she came round for coffee later in the day.

Problem number - in order to bake, the washing up needed to be done.  Now, in my house, the washing up is the job of Phil - he grew up in a washing up house, I grew up in a dishwasher house, so I think that he should do it, having all that experience and all.  But, as he is being a lazy git at the moment, I figured I would have to do it.  I swear he is testing how long he can leave it before I give in and just do it, which I inevitably do.  So, I did the washing up, which I hate and put me in a bad mood.

Then, I started baking my cake.  I decided on lemon drizzle, as it is a tried and tested recipe from the McDougalls book, and I had lemons that needed using.  Originally, I was going to make Mary Berry's Easter Lemon Meringue Gateau, but never got round to it, so I have loads of lemons to use up.

I have made this recipe a million times, so by now, I should know what temperature the oven needs to be - oh, no!  Not me.  I stupidly put the oven on the fan oven temperature, instead of normal oven temperature.  I would not discover this until a lot later though.

Anyway, the actual putting the ingredients in a bowl seemed to go OK, so after I had put the cake in the oven, I went to get a shower, knowing that I have 45 minutes before the cake would be ready.  I set my timer and proceeded to potter about and get ready to face the rest of the day.

Then, I got my letter from work telling me that I wouldn't be getting a payrise this year.  I can't say that it wasn't unexpected, but it still put me in a bad mood.  Just to be paid for the overtime I do would be nice.  But I won't dwell on this.  I would say that it I am blaming the bad mood it put me in for messing up the lemon syrup - I only put twice as much sugar as required in it . . . ooops!

Anyway, back to the actual baking, I realised after the 45 minutes were up and the cake looked as thought it was sinking that I had put the oven on 160 rather than 180, so I turned the oven up and spent another half an hour watching the cake with great interest.  I should know better, as I have done this particular trick before.  

Anyway, other than the cake not really having risen, it tasted OK, or must have done, as it was all gone (not me!) before I got chance to take a photo - it didn't look that great anyway.  I may attempt another one this week and take a photo.  If it works out, I will also share the recipe with you.

Anyway, I spent the rest of the day doing pretty much nothing and was so rock and roll I fell asleep on the sofa after watching Doctor Who.

Sunday was also a bit of a write-off.  I spent the morning doing my rounds, i.e. visiting various family members as I hadn't done this really since getting back off my holidays.  I then tried to book a honeymoon.  This was unsuccessful, as we couldn't use the vouchers we had got for our wedding online, and none of the local Thomsons shops were open on Sunday.  So far, I'm feeling pretty unimpressed with Thomsons, but our vouchers are for them, so we are stuck really.  Let's see if they redeem themselves.

One of the things I had planned to do was finally get round to making up the pants from my knicker-kit that my lovely hubby had bought me.  I finally got around to doing this last night - I had to do something to stop me just falling asleep on the sofa the minute I got in from work!!!

The kit is from FloJo's on Not On The High Street and comes with everything you need to make a pair of pants - pattern, cotton, gusset fabric and knicker elastic.  

I was very surprised that they only took me two hours to make, and that was with going wrong when sewing on the elastic so having to unpick and start again.  

Anyway, here is the finished product:



What do you think? They fit perfectly and are so comfy.

I enjoyed making these, so will be investing in the materials needed (I now have the pattern and instructions) and will be making some more.  Of course, these are night-time knickers only, as during the day, my pants always have to match my bra.

Anyway, I now have to get on with my usual Tuesday night ritual of doing all my admin work whilst catching up on my TV.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

P.S.  Don't know if you read this blog guys, but a great big huge congratulations to Rik & Catt on your engagement this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget