Wednesday, 22 October 2014

When Doris Met Clara

Soooo, this evening I would like to share with you this afternoon's make.  I am off work this week and had set myself the challenge of a project a day.  Today (half way through the week) is the first time I've managed it - Monday I was barely in the house, and yesterday, although I did do a project, it was a bit of a disaster and I will share that with you later.  Events may or may not unfold with that one.

Anyway, here is today's dress, modelled by the lovely Doris the Dressform:



And the back:



This is made with the most amazing Tardis Kona cotton fabric, which I ordered from Spoonflower in the summer.  The dress pattern is the Ruby dress from Simple Sew, and which I got free with Love Sewing magazine a couple of months back.  This dress and fabric have always been intended to go together, but I simply haven't had the time to sew for myself until now.

I know that the pattern is the'Ruby', but due to the fabric, I have decided to call this my Clara dress (all whovians should understand - the rest of you should watch Doctor Who so you can understand, and because it is brilliant!).

Whovians rejoice
 at this amazing fabric.
And check out those
amazing darts
 - right first time!
Thanks Doris
Anyway, the dress was a dream to sew.  With the help of Doris, I got my darts spot on on the first sew, other than my bobbin running out of thread half way down a bust dart - how annoying.  The invisible zip went in perfectly first time too, amazing!

It took me a grand total of 3 and a half hours to sew from cutting out to hand sewing the facings down.  

My beautiful invisible zip
- inserted right first time!
I was very proud that I got this right after my disaster yesterday.  However, I did follow this up by sewing a zip on a skirt inside out doh!

There's not much to say other than that I love love love this pattern.  I just love the shape.  It suits me so well and I love teh v-neck back.  I will be using the pattern again, and again, and again.  I have a few bits of fabric in my stash that might do nicely.  The fabric was also a dream so I will be ordering more Kona cotton from Spoonflower just as soon as my bank balance allows, and I can bring myself to pay postage from the US.

Fingers crossed I manage a full project again tomorrow.   I really need some work clothes, so I will try a dress or skirt tomorrow.  Not decided yet.  Somehow, I don't think work will appreciate me rocking up in this dress and making Tardis noises, because I will do that every time I wear this dress - it's, like, the law!

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget