Saturday, 3 January 2015

Thank You Butterflies

Sooooo, I've had a bit of a creative day today and, despite the fact that I have loads to share with you that I made before Christmas, I thought I would instead share one of today's makes.

I know that I am supposed to be using up my very extensive stash, but my friend, Helen, is a Stampin' Up! demonstrator and this means that I can't help treating myself every now and again (read:  pretty much all the time).  In fact, she dropped some goodies off for me yesterday, so a quiet day in today (hubby at work, sister in bed dying of a cold) meant that I fully intended to use the the time to hole myself up in my craft room and do some creating.  I should really be finishing off the last 250 words I have to write on my latest assignment - the use of mythology by the Roman Emperors - but I didn't want to.  I will no doubt finish it off one lunch break this week.  I know what I need to write, but I just don't have the enthusiasm today, so I crafted instead.

These were the first make of the day:


These are some thank you cards for me to send out for my birthday/Christmas/wedding anniversary present (see, another reason to do it all in one week - only one set of thank yous need writing!),

These are made using the thank you butterfly from the Stampin' Up! Well Worded set, which also has a birthday cake, a mustache and a flower with various greetings on each.

I also decided to use my new Stampin' Up! stampin' write pens, after they were recommended to me by an LOTV DT member.  Anyway, I stamped the first pink and blue cards with these, and as you can see, the quality wasn't that brilliant, so for the other cards, I swapped to some Memento inks I have, and they worked much better.  

After doing the first four, I decided that I liked them and I would need to make some more to have enough for all the thank yous I need to write.  Instead of using the pens though, I decided to see how my distress inks would work, as I had the colours I wanted in distress ink, but not in memento.  I also decided to add a purple, as these are small 5x5 cards and I could get 6 blanks for stamping on from an A4 sheet, so I thought I might as well do that and end up with 2 each of each colour.  I think the distress inks work quite well - not quite as crisp as the mento inks, but then again, that is the idea of distress inks, isn't it?

I ummed and ahhed about adding some faux stitching so decided to add some to a pink card to see what it looked like - a use for the stampin' write markers!  I decided it didn't really add and in fact I preferred the starkness of the cards without it.  

I really like how these have worked out and I love how the black and white card has worked out, but my fave has to be the orange, probably because it is a colour I usually don't use, but it is so bright and works so well with the butterfly to inject a bit of Spring/Summer into the world, which is desperately needed - it is miserable and rainy here in Ilkley today.

Anyway, to sum up, I like the stamps with the memento and distress inks, and the jury is currently out on the stampin' write markers.  I might try them on something less solid, maybe a sentiment stamp, to see how they work.  I will definitely be investing in some more memento inks though.

I would like to enter these cards into the following challenges:


I have been a busy bee today making, so I will no doubt be back with some more makes later (or I'll blog about them eventually - maybe in 3 months! lol).

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx







5 comments:

  1. These are fabulous set of cards! I love the simplicity of the design and yet they are fairly clean and simple, too! GREAT take on the challenge! So glad that you join the fun over Virginia’s View “Clean Slate” Challenge! Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards, every one! Thanks for joining in with our 'New' challenge at Sweet Stampin'. I look forward to seeing more of your gorgeous crafty skills in our future challenges. Hugs, Wends x Sweet Stampin' DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Card thank you for joining us in 2015, Happy New Year. Good Luck. DebbieX

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great clean and simple card. I love the colors. Thank you for joining us in the challenge over at Loves Rubberstamps!

    Good luck with your assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful CAS cards and great use of your stamp. So perfect for our ' New' challenge this week. Thank you for sharing and joining in with the fun at Sweet Stampin’ this week and good luck. Hugs Janine xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget