Monday, 23 February 2015

Baby Zoo

Sooo, today I would like to share with you a new craft I have begun to have an interest in. Admittedly, I am sticking to the most simple of projects for the time being, but I'm sure I can develop as I practice.  This is a basic quilt I made:


Originally, I made this for a colleague, who is expecting later in the year, but a) we found out that the baby will in fact be a girl and b) a friend asked if she could have it, and I, of course, happy acquiesced with that request.

This was a very simple quilt if I'm honest.  The front is a pre-printed panel I purchased from the Little Fabric Bazaar, who I actually correspond with on facebook.  I then backed this with some super-soft dimple plush in Ivory (also from the Little Fabric Bazaar).  After pre-washing both, they came up at pretty much the same size - just a small amount of fabric trimming required.


To finish the quilt I bound the edges with some wide bias binding, which I purchased from Boyes (possibly my fave crafting shop - mostly because it is at the end of my road, so only a two minute walk away).

I put off actually binding the quilt for a while as I worried about how to mitre the corners, then I came across this tutorial from Merriment Design.  Turned out, it is actually ridiculously easy, and I like the idea of using hair barrettes rather than pins to hold projects such as quilts together. 

Anyway, overall, it probably took about two hours  to make this quilt up, including a bit of trimming, actually sewing the front and back together before adding the binding, and then doing the binding.  I also took a few breaks inbetween and left it overnight before doing the binding.

Anyway, I love this quilt and so do others it seems - within minutes of putting it on facebook I had the request from my friend for its purchase, and then a request for another one.

Soooo, I've put in an order for some more supplies and I have also ordered supplies for a girl version (with fairies).  I've also told my sister that I might try some slightly more complicated quilting and make her a runner for her bed for when she decorates.

As always, I'll keep you updated as to how well they go.

In the meantime . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget