Sunday, 12 July 2015

Hats Off To Larry . . . Or Bertie . . . or whatever

Soooo, today I bring you a smaller person's project:  The Fedora Hat.



This is a much belated birthday present for my friends' son, Bertie (not his real name) whose birthday was in actual fact back in May, but I was horrendously unorganised about it.

I saw the pattern for this hat from Elegance & Elephants probably back in March and just knew that it was going to be Bertie's present - I just then took 3 months to purchase the pattern, while thinking about a million other things I could make him.

Anyway, I finally got round to it when finally inspiration struck me about what I could use for the lining - I had decided what the outer would be from the off, but the lining was bugging me.  So, the outer is a blue cotton drill I had in my stash, left over from a recent(ish) work skirt I made, and I decided that the lining should be the striped cotton I had left over from making the car play mat, which I have since made a further two of.  I also thought that this would make a good band for the hat - my original thoughts had been ribbon.

inside - you will note I made zero attempt to pattern match
So I was good to go - nearly - I just needed some twill tape and some heavyweight interfacing (handily purchased for me by the hubby - thank you!).

Crown and brim - I was
so excited to have got to
this stage :-)
I did the cutting out and construction in bits - cutting out on the Saturday afternoon, then ironing on the interfacing on the Sunday morning, then doing the actual sewing on that Sunday after having gone back to bed with a terrible migraine and getting back up again.

The sewing part took me about two hours and the cutting out/ironing a further half an hour each tops, so all in all this is definitely a hat you could make in an afternoon - probably a couple of hours once you have done two or three.

check out my (slightly wonky)
topstitching
The instructions were fairly simple to follow, with good photographs.  I don't think I sat and scratched my head once, which is unusual for me.  AND there was only two unpicking, which is even more unusual - one to fix a bit of puckering and the second to change the size of the band, as it did come up slightly small the first time, so I unpicked and did a slightly smaller seam.  

There were a couple of fiddly bits, such as avoiding any puckering when stitching the brim to the crown and the top of the crown to this sides, but I think this is more because it is a teeny tiny project, rather than the actual techniques and skills needed.

Overall,  am very tres happy and I made a hat!!!!!  
Sans band

At the time of writing, I have not yet seen Bertie to give him the hat, so I don't know whether it is approved of or not, but I like it . . . 

What do I like about this?
  1. I made a hat!!!
  2. Simple to construct and easy to follow instructions.  I think the nieces could make these with no problems.
  3. Good stash buster - I think I used less than a fat quarter of fabric each for the lining and outer - and that was for the largest size.

a band!
What would I change next time:
  1. Try out some different fabrics - maybe a denim next time?
  2. Use ribbon for the band rather than construct a band.
  3. Make it on my niece's smaller sewing machine, as things should just wrap around the arm rather then not quite fitting round the arm on my machine.

Anyway, I am on to bigger projects now, but I might find some time for some little people projects inbetween. Tempted to try some more of Elegance and Elephants' patterns.  As always, I will share.

Happy Crafting!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget