Sunday, 30 August 2015

Flower Power

Soooo, a couple of weekends ago, I got very productive and made not just one project, but 5 - the spotty dresses I made can be found here, and I also made another car play mat.  Once I had done all of that, I had a rifle through my fabric stash to see what I could make next, and somewhere near the top, I came across this floral polycotton, which I bought a few weeks ago to teach a friend how to make a gathered skirt like my Flamingoes one.  However, when I got to her house, she had already purchased herself some different fabric (more about that later), so the polycotton went in my stash, and to be honest, I had forgotten about it.

Anyway, once I found it again, I decided that as I wanted a fairly easy make, I would make it up as originally intended and make a gathered skirt.  I also figured that as it was quite a dark material, it would make a good autumn skirt, as I think I could get away with it with tights and boots, and I desperately need more autumn and winter clothes, so I'd best get started on them, right after I make a few more summer projects (after all, it is still only August and I have holiday clothes to make).  I also had the most gorgeous mother of pearl buttons that would go perfect with the fabric.  I did um and ah about using the buttons, because is it really jusitified to spend more on the buttons than the fabric?  I went with yes on that one.

So, this was a pretty easy make, other than me interfacing the wrong edge of one of the pieces of fabric, but it is on the inside, so doesn't matter I don't think and I did then interface the correct side.

pretty buttons . . .
It took me a morning to make up and I tried a new gathering technique - using shirring elastic and zig-zag stitching over the top of it.  Once I had mastered how to anchor the elastic at the beginnig (I tied it round a safety pin in the end), this was easy peasy lemon squeezy and I shall be using this technique every time to gather from now on.

the non-interfaced seam
As I have made it before, I only consulted the instructions every now and again, and just to make sure I was doing it correctly.

I managed to do the button holes the correct way round this time (horizontal, not vertical).  However, I did accidentally manage, when cutting a buttonhole (the one just below the waistband), to cut all the way to the edge of the fabric - I am such an idiot sometimes.  I have decided to blame this on my seam ripper, which I use to do my buttonholes - it shouldn't be so effective!

Anyway, I rectified this quite easily - I simply hand sewed the offending bit of fabric back together.  As the print is so busy, you would only notice this if you looked really closely, an nobody should be looking that closely at that part of my body as far as I'm concerned.

So, after I had finished the skirt, I had enough fabric left over to make another Pippa dress., which had been my intention.  This one is made up as an Age 1.  I found two matching pink floral plastic buttons, which go perfectly, and I had already bought some pink ricrac as decoration.

I didn't line this one, but as I wanted it to be a cool summer dress, I just faced it, as per the pattern.  Instead of simply zig zag stitching the bottom of the facing, I used some pink spotty bias binding to make it look a bit prettier, and tie in all the pink elements.

I was tempted to do the buttonholes in pink, but at the last minute decided against it, and did them in navy so they were as invisible as possible - I thought more pink might be a bit too much.

I hemmed the dress by turning up the hem twice and sewing, then I sewed some pink ricrac over the stitching line, not so much to hide it, but because I wanted to use the ricrac.  Et voila!  This is also in my little Folksy shop :-)  There will be more going in this over the coming weeks/months - I have plans and ideas!

Anyway, that is it for today . . . on with a few bigger projects now - a shirt dress (finally!) and a dress for my holidays, which if all goes well will be awesome.  Obvs I will share with you when they are finished.

Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget