Sunday, 23 August 2015

It Was An Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Sooo, actually it's not yellow or a bikini, but it is itsy bitsy and it is dotty . . . 

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was gifted a load of upholstery weight fabric by a girl I know through Etsy.  I was very excited when she said she had a stash of fabric going free, and I immediately jumped at the chance (making a donation to her charity of choice in the process) to take it off her hands.

Once I got it home though, I realised that, although the fabrics were beautiful, they would just not work for what I wanted to do - most of the pieces were too small to make anything meaningful, so I gave most of it to the step-mother (non-wicked) who will use it to make beautiful cushions (some of which had better make it into my house - just saying!).

I did, however, keep one piece, which was not only large enough for me to make something, but I also knew exactly what I was going to make the minute I laid eyes on it - Butterick 3772, a previous incarnation of which can be found here.  For some reason, even though I am not the biggest fan of children, as is well known, I do like sewing their clothes - I think it is more of an instant satisfaction thing, as they take a fraction of the time to make that my clothes do and I don't have to faff with fitting - most of the time they fit straight out of the pack without any issue.


So, anyway. In my pre-B12 injection tiredness, I decided to do my cutting out.  There are reasons every sewist will tell you not to cut out when tired - you  make mistakes!  Exhibit A over here managed to cut out two fronts instead of a back and a front.  Luckily for me, I had just enough fabric to cut out two dresses (as had been my intention anyway), but this error meant that I now had two of the same size, instead of different sizes, but never mind eh?!  I was actually too tired to care.  It also meant that I didn't have enough fabric to face the dresses, but as this is quite a thick and heavy fabric, I had already really decided against that anyway, and had decided to line the dress.  After sending a quick pic of the fabric to my market research consultants (my sisters and nieces), it was decided that the dresses should be lined in orange.  I had envisaged orange satin, but the shop didn't have any and I was too impatient to wait to order some off the interweb, so I got bright orange anti-static lining, which is a polyester, but then again the satin would have been too.  To match the orange theme we had going on, I found some orange plastic buttons - 2 squares and 2 hexagons.  At least the dresses wouldn't be exactly the same.

To line the dress, I simply cut out another front and back from the orange lining fabric and reinforced where the buttons and buttonholes would be with some interfacing.

I then sewed the sides of the lining and the main dress and then sewed the two together at the neckline.  Some notching, cutting in and turning out later, a good press, and voila!  A dress.

I hemmed the lining by topstitching with coordinating thread and I hemmed the main dress with the bias binding technique.  I thought that turning up the dress twice and topstitching would make the hem very bulky, so I sewed on some blue spotty bias binding to the right side of the hem, then turned it up and invisible hand stitched on the inside.  I think this is a really good finish for this dress, if I do say so myself.  I made up the other dress in exactly the same way.

Then came the buttonholing.  I was going to do the buttonholes in orange, but at the last minute decided this would look wrong and went for blue instead.  I think this looks better.  There's not much to say about the buttonholing - the dresses are buttonholed and then I just had to attach the buttons and give the dress a final press.

I don't actually have anyone is mind to give these dresses to, I just wanted to make them, so I have listed them on Folksy.  They are both age 2.

I had a tiny little bit of spotty fabric left over.  I wanted to make another Fedora hat, but even with all the creative cutting in the world I just couldn't get all the pattern pieces out of what I had left, so I decided to make a Gather Kits Tallis Collar instead.  I have made one of these before for my Minnie outfit and remembered it being pretty easy.


I did my best with the pattern matching, but the pattern direction meant that I would never get it as perfect as I would like, but I don't think I did too bad a job.

For the undercollar, I used a scrap of the orange lining and then I finished with some coordinating orange satin ribbon.

I'm not really a collar person, so I don't know if I should keep this in the hope that I will one day wear it, or if I should list it for sale.  It would really jazz up an otherwise plain top.

I have been very busy indeed lately so I have more projects to share with you.

In the meantime . . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget