Sunday, 10 January 2016

Nellie The Elephant

Sooooooo, following on from the Halloween Monster High Cheerleader costume, I am still cursing my youngest niece, who when asked what she wanted for her birthday declared that she wanted the ballerina elephant costume, which Paul made on series 3 of The Great British Sewing Bee.  Of course, she wanted an elephant costume!!!!  

Why can't I have normal nieces, who just want money for their birthdays?!  It would be a lot easier and probably be cheaper!

Anyway, being the most awesome wonderful and fabulous auntie that I am, I said "of course you can have an elephant outfit" then spent the next three months trying to change her mind.  Didn't she want a beeeauuutiful party dress instead?  Nope, she was not to be swayed dammit!  Although I'm sure if I wanted to make her a pretty party dress as well, that would not have been objected to.  Unlucky for her I didn't have the time to do that.

I put off making the costume for ages, because in my head, I just couldn't see how it worked.  I did grade up the pattern to fit her, but after that nothing for weeks.  THEN, I decided to look at the instructions.  It was at this point that I realised all the sections were actually separate - bottoms, top and hood avec trunk.


The fact that the pattern had called for corset boning had also confused ever so slightly a lot.  That took a lot of figuring out in my head, but I got there eventually.  In fact, that was the most difficult part of the construction.

The bottoms are effectively pyjama pants.  The top is basically a straight forward long-sleeved t-shirt with gathered net around the bottom to form the tutu part.  The tail, attached at the same time, is just three strands of grey fabric plaited and a ribbon tied on the bottom.


The construction of the hood was straight forward, if a little tricky to insert the ears, and I am still a little disappointed that the ears flop forward rather than sticking straight out to the sides.  This might just be my dodgy construction though.

Anyway, Evie seemed to like it, although I have yet to get a photo of her in it, but I will.  I don't think I will make another though.


In the meantime, I am now cracking on with the Panto costumes (getting there slowly) and trying to catch up with my blogging backlog.

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget