Friday, 1 January 2016

We're Gonna Party Like Its Y2K

Sooo, happy new year people.  I hope you are all now recovering from your hangover induced comas.  I prescribe bacon butties and lots of tea or coffee.



It may only be the first of the year, but I am already busy planning for the year ahead.  I have a lot going on.  I will finally finish my degree, I have plans to expand Holz Molz Polz and maybe even finally get around to launching Haberdasherholic.



I also have Addingham Panto in February and preparations and costume making is already well under way for that and so far I have managed to escape having to make an appearace on the stage - I'm definitely more of a backstage kindagal.





All that aside, I've decided to set myself some sewing goals this year, instead of just coasting along like I did last year.  In my defence though, 2015 was an odd one - the summer (and beyond) of panic attacks and anxiety did not facilitate creativity and trying out new things to make, and then I felt a bit overwhelmed with work load in my day job, trying to do my studying, fit in panto and make holiday clothes.  Maybe it is no surprise I broke.  BUT I never want to feel like that again, so I have learned to take it a bit more slowly and plan ahead. 





With all this in mind, I'm not setting myself too many goals, but there are a couple of things I would like to make, some of which I had planned to do last year but then never happened.  A few I have been thinking about for a while and think that now is the time to get on with it.  I'm thinking if I write it down I might actually do it.



So here goes, this is what I want to do in this year of two thousand and sixteen:





Ginger Jeans by
Closet Case Files
1.  Jeans


I am forever reading blogs about how amazing the Ginger Jeans are from Closet Case Files (see here here and here to name but a few), so I have decided I need a pair myself.   I don't often wear jeans, but that might be because I don't own a pair because I have not yet made myself a pair.  This all may change.  But, maybe I should try some simpler trousers first?!





2.  Coat

The Robson Coat
By Sewaholic
I scrapped my previous attempt at coat making.  I was proud of it at the time, but then it took me about two wears to see all the flaws and start to hate it.  So, I need to make myself a new lighter coat for when Spring starts to arrive.  I have my pattern - the Sewaholic Robson.  I have even graded up the pattern.  I even bought all the fabic and notions.  I did this all last September, but then came to a halt, and the weather changed so quickly from cardigan to full on winter coat that I didn't really notice the hole in my wardrobe that was a rain mac/light coat.




Maybe this is a good thing, but I have totally changed by vision of this coat now - colour, print, finish . . . pretty much everything!





3.  Phil


I would really like to foray into making men's clothing and make some things for my husband.  He is truly useless at buying clothes and in fact I do believe most of his wardrobe he owned when we became a couple nearly eight years ago.  So, I am going to consult with him and find out what style he would like and then make him some things like the good little wife that I am (yeah, right).  I'm thinking shirts, sweaters, cargo pants, jeans, board shorts . . . the kinds of things he wears now, but nicer.




THE Burda Dress
4.  This Burda Dress


I saw this dress a while  ago in Burda Magazine and wanted to make it then.  It's just one of those things that I have got round to doing, so I have added it to my list.  I'm thinking different shades of the same colour for a work dress or different coloured (but coordinating) dupions or taffetas for a going out dress.




5.  Overlocker

And last but not least, I really need to learn to use my overlocker.  

I bought this in June last year, and other than a cursory glance it has not been out of the box since.  I even cut out a dress to make it with back in September, but my head has just not felt in the right place, nor have I felt like I have had the time, to be able to make sense of it.  This is something I need to do this year.


Maybe I should also add to the list to get on with some blogging - I have such a backlog, but no motivation to write - it will come back (I hope).


Anyway, I may not get around to ALL of these, and I am not going to put any pressure on myself to do it, at least not until the panic attacks have subsided, but at least I have a plan and if I can tick off at least two of these thinks I will be happy.


I hope you all have an awesome 2016.


Happy Crafting!


Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget