Sunday, 28 February 2016

A Tale of Two Elsas

Soooo, continuing my sharing of the panto costumes, these are the costumes I made for the baddie - Ratifa the Queen Rat - and Fairy Bowbells.

These are both actually the same dress (I decided to go for a good vs evil theme), and they are both in fact the Elsa dress, previous incarnations of which can be found here.

Not much to say construction-wise.  I made the baddie costume using some wine/burgundy taffeta for the skirt and underlining of the top and some black lace for the top and sleeves from White Tree Fabrics.  I ummed and ahhed about adding the cape, but decided against it in the end and thought that if I had time I would make a separate cape (I never got time!).

The lady that was playing Queen Ratifa requested some thigh splits in the skirt of the dress, and I was only too happy to oblige and take my scissors to the dress while she had it on.

It was a simple make, but I have made what feels like a million Elsa dresses, so I pretty much knew what I was doing.  I left the lace hems unfinished, but did hem the skirt.  I then recruited my eldest niece to add black sequins along the hem, splits and neckline, as well as up the centre back seam, and that was that dress finished.  Not sure Queen Rat was too happy with it, but I think I was pretty much past caring by then - I liked it.

Then it was on with the fairy costume, which was originally going to be a silver version of the baddie costume as I had just enough silver sequin fabric left over from my disastrous Sophia top to do the main part of the bodice.  But then the lady playing the fairy bought gold shoes, so a rethink was required.  I couldn't get the gold version of the silver sequin fabric as, at the time Guthrie Ghani had sold out, so I had to think again.


In the end, I got some foiled organza from Boyes, foiled with some lovely gold hearts, which I used for the overlay on the bodice, the yoke and the sleeves.  I used some gold satin for the skirt and underlining of the bodice.  Again, I left the cape off and I added sequins along the bodice/skirt join with sequins all over the skirt (which my helper, Elaine did for me).  Finally, I added some gold ribbon around the hem of the sleeves.

check out that invisible zip insertion
I know that the fairy did not like this costume (I admit it wasn't my favourite, but neither was it what I had originally planned), as she decided to only wear it for the finale (thereby ruining my good vs evil idea) and buying her own costume.  Karma did come back to bite her in the butt, quite literally, when she sat on make-up in her lovely white costume that she had bought (and which I had magnanimously sequinned up for her, like the nice person I am) and got foundation all over her backside (it was not a good look!).

So anyway, that is those two dresses.  I will be back in a couple of days with a costume that someone actually liked . . . .

In the meantime . . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget