Saturday, 5 March 2016

Four Skirts and a Kim

Soooo, today I would like to share with you some costumes from le Panto that seem to have been a bit more appreciated that some of the others I have shared with you so far:

I enjoyed making these ones as my friend's daughter had the part of Alice, and I enjoy creating for those I know.  It also made it easier for me to discuss ideas and what she would like with her as I see her and her mum on a fairly regular basis.

Anyway, first up and the first outfit she wore - this was for the London and shop scenes.  This was one of the first ones I designed and I think I put it on Instagram.  I designed it in red, but after speaking with Katie/Alice, her favourite colour is turquoise so we decided to go for that.


I toyed with the idea of making a proper dirndl, but quickly dismissed that idea - she was on stage so no-one was going to know any different and I really didn't have the mental strength for such escapades.  So this outfit is actually in two parts - the dress part is the By Hand London Kim Dress with the full skirt and square neck.  It was made with some lovely gingham from White Tree Fabrics, which was an absolute dream to cut and sew and when it was hanging on the hanger in my sewing studio I decided that I would quite like to sew one up for myself, but would that be just plain weird?  I decided not and I think I am going to make myself one in purple gingham.  I am also thinking of making some of these to sell in my HolzMolzPolz shop.

I think I can now make the Kim dress in my sleep so the sewing together was pretty straight forward.  In fact, I had my favourite Kim dress on when I was sewing this up and when I went to show Katie the dress.

Anyway, I digress as usual.  Instead of lining this Kim, as per the patter instructions, I decided to bind the edges of the armscyces and the neckline with some self-bias.  I then changed by mind and bought bias.  Et voila!  One dress.

Now, to make this look like my design, a blouse was needed.  Katie had specifically said when I showed her my design that she liked the puffy sleeves, so I had to find a pattern with puffy sleeves.  I decided to go down the peasant top route, as I thought that this could also be used for another scene and therefore save Katie too much changing of outfits.  I finally found McCalls M7163 and chose View A in a white polycotton from Boyes.  Apparently my predecessor sourced almost everything from Boyes - I think I  only sourced about half, but I do love a good online shopping spree.

Anyway, I thought this would be a quick and simple make, and I was half right.  It would have been very simple if I could follow instructions about sewing the neck casing, but I got there in the end.  My anticipated two hours sewing (the pattern said 'easy') turned into nearly two days sewing, but never mind.  I was flooded in at the time (not a road or train track in or out of Ilkley was open) so it didn't matter too much. 

To finish off the outfit for this scene I used the left over white cotton to make an apron, which I made up as I went along.  I might, might, do a tutorial for this  *if I get chance).  It was ridiculously simple.

So, moving on . . .

The next in El Panto was a boat scene, so I knew that I would be going along the lines of nautical red, white and blue for everyone in this scene - preferably a bit of all for each person.  I decided that Katie/Alice could use the same white blouse worn for the previous scene and have a blue circle skirt with a red sash tied around the middle.


To make the circle skirt I used some blue and white polka dot polycotton from my stash.  I think I originally bought this to make some curtains for the shed at our old house, but as I never did and now we don't have a shed it was surplus to requirements.  I was going to use the By Hand London circle skirt app to draft my own pattern, but then remembered that my lovely Ruby dress has a circle skirt (I was wearing a Ruby at the time) so I just stole the skirt pieces from that pattern. 

I decided against a waistband and instead used some blue bias binding from Le Statsh on the waist.  I was going to bind the hem, but then remembered just quite how long hems are on circle skirts and just turned it up instead.


I am definitely going to make up some more of these to sell in the HolzMolzPolz shop, as I also made two of these for one half of one of the comedy acts - Jilly, who was played by my friend, Maz.  Maz's skirts were made in some multi-coloured gingham I found in Boyes and a plain red polycotton.  I gave Maz my red pettiskirt to wear under her skirts and she loved swishing about in it,  I would like to point out that at this point that Maz is the mother of Katie.

Anyway, I digress as usual . . . The sash for Katie was a simple make - I didn't even do it - I got one of my helpers to do this (I did need 27 of the things so I wasn't doing them all myself).  These are made from some red satin cut into 150 x 30cm lengths then folded lengthways and sewn along all edges, leaving a gap for turning.  A good press et voila!  I had loads of red satin in my stash, but still had to go buy some more too - a total of 9 metres was needed for these sashes . . .


Moving onto the finale . . . I actually ended up buying Katie's dress for the finale due to the time constraints, so I won't go into detail on that, but I did make Maz's skirt, using McCalls M6706 View E, which I love so much I didn't claim the pennies back for it so I could keep the pattern and then I bought the pattern in my size too.

Anyway, the theme for the finale was (in the end) black and gold, so I used some of the black taffeta I had used for Dick's finale costume, along with some of the gold taffeta I had bought to make waistcoats for the finale, but didn't turn up on time.  The skirt was a fairly straight forward make, if a little time consuming because of all those stripes to sew, and then I didn't read the instructions right and ended up making the waistband waaaaaaay too long, but I decided to make this a design feature, so the skirt now has a bow at the side!

The only other alteration I made to this is to use an invisible rather than a lapped zip because a) that is what I had available to me at the time and b) I prefer invisible zips (I know I am strange in that respect).

So now I come to a problem - I forgot to take a photo of this skirt, and I loved it so much.  I will make more versions and share them . . .

Anyway, I think I have a couple more costumes to share with you, so I will do that soon, and then I might even share some none-panto makes (only might).

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget