Sunday, 20 March 2016

The Fantastic Miss Fox

Soooo, today I would like to share with you a bit of slow sewing I have been doing.

Usually, I am in the habit of rushing through my projects, but after the stress of panto costumes and having to rush through those, I thought I would take my time over this project.

These are the Carolyn Pyjamas from Closet Case Files, and this particular set are for the eldest niece for Easter. 


Let me explain why she isn't getting an Easter Egg (which would be waay easier and cheaper) . . . . Many moons ago, when she was about 5, she declared that she got enough eggs, so could I please buy her some pyjamas for Easter instead . . . not a problem said I (I didn't sew then, and I could easily go buy a pair) . . . fast forward a few years, and pyjamas for Easter are now a tradition for the nieces.  Some previous sets for le nieces can be found here and here.

Anyway, Georgia is now nearly a teenager, and hates pink and frills, but does have a thing for black and fox motifs at the moment, so when I saw this fabric I knew that it was going to be made into something for her.  I decided on the Carolyn pjyamas.  I had come across these when I was following the online sewing match thingy last year and liked them . . . I liked them muchly and lots, but were a pattern I had not got around to buying.  Making these for G remedied that.  I was going to buy the paper pattern, but was impatient so bought the PDF version and got the lovely guys at Hobbs in Leeds to print it off for me - they even delivered to my office,  to save my little legs, bless them.

G's measurements put her in a straight size 0 (oh, how I could hate her . . . but I don't as she is nearly as awesome as me!) so I spent an evening tracing onto tissue and then cutting out.

I then started construction. which took me two weeks, but as I said, I was not rushing these and I was catching an hour or two here and there and also doing another project inbetween, so in all, they probably took me about 10 hours total.

I chose View C (shorts and short sleeves) as it is supposed to be nearly summer, even if the weather is having issues remembering this at the moment.  I decided to add piping and bought some lovely satin rainbow piping from eBay.  I wasn't sure if I had enough to pipe everything that was piped on the illustration, so I decided to do the cuffs on the shorts and sleeves and the pocket cuff.  With hindsight, I certainly had enough to do the collar, and I could have done short pockets, which were not on the illustration but could have looked quite cool.  Also with hindsight, I think I should have done the topstitching in rainbow  too, rather than black, but we live and learn don't we.

I followed the instructions very carefully and found that construction was pretty straight forward.  I even pressed everything as I went . . . I was definitely taking my time over this.

Anyway, other than a blip with the button hole setting on my machine (human error), all went smoothly, and I finished the shirt with some buttons I found in Boyes.  I wanted to continue the rainbow theme and have each button a different colour, but that meant I had to have different shapes too, but I think it goes well with the overall theme of the PJs.

I will definitely be making these again . . .  I'm thinking flannel plaid for myself . . . .  The other niece doesn't want PJs this year . . . she wants a playsuit (of course!).  I have tried to talk her out of this, but to no avail, so I had best get on with that now. . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget