Sunday, 14 May 2017

Bohemian Like You

Soooo, today I would like to share with you my latest creation for my little muse, Pippa:



This is her birthday present for this year, which of course is late, because if it wasn't, then it wouldn't be from auntie Holly fabulous would it?!  I believe in her four years on this earth she has got used to it.

Anyway, I ummed and ahhhed over Pippa's present this year.  My original plan was a pretty dress, and I downloaded the Elegance & Elephants new Mira dress, and considered various dresses from Violette Fields, whose patterns I have used before (see here), but then decided that Pippa would likely appreciate something she can do the most terrorising in, so the idea of summers shorts and a top was born.  



I decided on the Elegance & Elephants Bohemian Babydoll, which is available as a dress and a top, as I liked the ruffle sleeves, and once I had decided on flouncy sleeves, I couldn't undecide it.  

I ordered some beautiful white broiderie anglais from Minerva Crafts which was lovely to work with and I shall be ordering some more for a holly-size project, and spent about half an hour while watching MotoGP a couple of Sundays ago cutting out a size 3 (after checking with Mother of Pippa the correct size as Pippa will be 4 but is tiny (yet fierce)).

Construction of the pattern was pretty straight forward.  The bodice is self-lined, as are the ruffles.  The instructions are clear, with links to video tutorials for more complicated or usual parts of the instructions.  There is one for showing you how to do the burrito method for the bodice, but I found that after a very small amount of head scratching that I didn't need it.  It was nice to know that the tutorial was there if I struggled though.

The only bit I did struggle with was attaching the 'skirt' to the bodice, but this was me being tired and not really reading the instructions properly.  The lightbulb moment happened the following morning when I had had some sleep, but I had already done it my way by then so it didn't matter.  Next time though, I will have another go at the E&E way.

The only alteration I made was not to use facings for the hem.  Instead, I just overlocked and turned up for a teeny tiny hem.

I love that the instructions directed you to add a label before you started, if you wanted to use one.  This was so handy to someone who nearly always forgets her labels until the end.  No more, I said, after this revelation.  This lasted a grand total of no projects as I promptly forgot to attach the label on my next project (see below).

Anyway, I have decided that I need to make myself a version of this top, so am on the hunt for a pattern, or at least a pattern I can hack to which I can add ruffles.  My current thought is the Seamwork Gretta.  I think this would just be perfect for day trips or walking around Havana on my holidays later this year (I am sooo excited I could get very annoying, but I'm trying to reign it in, I promise).



To go with the top, I decided on the My Little Plumcake Spring Shorts, which I have previously made (here) and were in my pattern stash already.



pockets
Not much to say about these really.  Nice clear instructions (except reminding me to put a label on).  I omitted the leg bands this time - I just wasn't feeling them.  I did manage to put the waistband on wrong - twice!!!  I think I am just tired at the moment and in need of a weekend of sleep.  However, this would require my body making the decision to stay asleep of an evening.  Just to 7am would be nice.  I did have one day last weekend when I slept until 8 and thought I had cracked the insomnia, but nope, back awake at the crack of dawn the next day.  On the plus side, insomnia creates productivity and I am flying through anything I can do without waking the husband up, and as he usually sleeps through anything, I managed to make a unicorn pull-apart cake for my niece's birthday last weekend before the husband awoke.

belt ties
Anyway, I have diverted from the issue at hand.  The shorts were made from some left overs cotton from a dress I made myself for work.  I had ummed and ahhed for a while about what fabric to use, and then as this was to hand, and bright and spring-like I decided to go with it.  I had just enough left overs for these shorts, with an attempt to pattern matching - it wasn't a successful attempt, but the thought was there.  I love the little pleats and the pockets.  I think next time I will make the waistband a bit narrower - I'm not sure if it is just too much.  

pleat details
The little outfit is now all wrapped up for delivery to Pippa (and less than a month late - a record I believe), and I hope she likes it (and it fits!).  I think it will be a fun summer outfit for her.

the back
If you have any suggestions for a Holly-size pattern, please let me know, but I will be adding some of the tops to my shop for sale at some point in the future.  I have nearly finished my sewing for everyone else, and then I can do a bit of selfish sewing and sewing for the shop.

In the meantime . . . 

I'm off to watch MotoGP . . .

Happy Crafting!

Holly
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget